South Africa Law

Get your South African law questions answered by Experts

i had a child out of wedlock, whom i agreed to give the fathers…

i had a child out...
i had a child out of wedlock, whom i "agreed" to give the father's last name at birth registration because we were meant to get married 3months thereafter. we were cohabiting. The customary marriage didnot happen, the relationship ended a year later. The father took no interest in the child didnt pay any maintainance and didnot want to visit his child. after almost 2 years of trying to get him to take responsibility and see his child , I gave up. and charged to homeaffairs to get the last name of the child changed to mine. I was tired of having to justify and write afidavits that she is my child whenever i apply for services for her like medical aid and passports as the father was absent and took no interest in her life. the father has been absent for the past 8yrs, he emerged from nowhere in the past months and his excuse was that he never came to see the child so as to allow me to move on! however whilst i thought we will find an amicable and responsible way to start introducing him to her again. I received a letter from his lawyers that he intends to take legal action against me if i didnt change the names of the child back. ofcourse i am surprised the first thing is not for him to seek access to the child but to get the names of a child he abonded and still has not made efforts to see to date? pls advise and recommend the best law firm i could go to for this.
7/4/2010
JP
JP, Attorney

Good afternoon!

The other lawyer is trying to prove that the father took an interest in the child by now trying to show that the child even took his name.

It is one thing to threaten with legal action but i am almost certain that they wont proceed with the action so relax until you actually receive summons.

If they wont to proceed let them then you can institute a counter claim for maintenance in actual fact why dont you do it in any case.

If you are looking for a lawyer in any case http://www.attorneys.co.za/ is most definitely the best way to go there you can search by area as well as by specialty.

Kindly accept my answer by clicking on the accept!

Kind Regards

JP

Terms and Conditions: By your continuing in this conversation with me, or by your clicking "Accept", you are expressly agreeing to all of the following: (1) our communication is for general information purposes only and to assist you to discuss legal matters with your attorney in person; (2) you are not consulting me in my professional capacity as an attorney; (3) you do not seek to establish an attorney-client relationship with me, nor do I with you; (4) you will not rely on anything I say and you will obtain appropriate legal counsel via a traditional/office consultation with an attorney licensed to practice in the jurisdiction where your legal issue arises (5) by communicating with me in this public forum you are irrevocably waiving any right to privacy, confidentiality and attorney-client privilege concerning the matters discussed. You further separately declare that any payment made by you is not consideration for this contract, nor offered for any services rendered by me on your behalf, but is made as compensation for the obtaining as general legal information for further discussion with your attorney .If you do not agree with these terms and conditions, then you must advise me immediately.

JP
JP, Attorney

Hi JP, what do i do now to make sure that if those summons come,i stand a very good chance of winning the case since he's been an absent father.

You have a very good case here all you need to do is to prove that it is in the best interest of the child that the status quo remains as is.