South Africa Law

Get your South African law questions answered by Experts

I have signed a house rental contract with Estate Agent X…

I have signed a house...
I have signed a house rental contract with Estate Agent "X" on 24 June 2010, only to find out that Estate Agent "Y" is renting the same units for R350,00 less. I was pushed to pay the deposit by "X" asap, to secure the unit in the complex that I wanted. I now wish to cancel my contract with "X" and move the rental over to "Y". Is there a contract cooling off period for housing rental contracts, and if not, what will a reasonable cancellation fee be?

I have not yet received a copy of my contract, and occupation is only 1 August 2010.
7/3/2010
JP
JP, Attorney

Good day!

Is there a contract cooling off period for housing rental contracts, and if not, what will a reasonable cancellation fee be?

As this contract is not a Deed of sale i am sorry to inform you that there is no cooling off period. Furthermore there is no cancellation fee that you can pay as the contract is now legally binding.

Agent x is right you cant cancel unless the landowner is not prepared to sign. Why not tell agent x that you are going to inform the landlord that they are charging possibly more commission as what he has agreed to that way the agent may back off and not produce the rental contract to the owner leaving you free to sign with y if x tears up the contract.

Kindly accept my answer by clicking on the accept!

Kind Regards

JP

Terms and Conditions: By your continuing in this conversation with me, or by your clicking "Accept", you are expressly agreeing to all of the following: (1) our communication is for general information purposes only and to assist you to discuss legal matters with your attorney in person; (2) you are not consulting me in my professional capacity as an attorney; (3) you do not seek to establish an attorney-client relationship with me, nor do I with you; (4) you will not rely on anything I say and you will obtain appropriate legal counsel via a traditional/office consultation with an attorney licensed to practice in the jurisdiction where your legal issue arises (5) by communicating with me in this public forum you are irrevocably waiving any right to privacy, confidentiality and attorney-client privilege concerning the matters discussed. You further separately declare that any payment made by you is not consideration for this contract, nor offered for any services rendered by me on your behalf, but is made as compensation for the obtaining as general legal information for further discussion with your attorney .If you do not agree with these terms and conditions, then you must advise me immediately.

JP
JP, Attorney