South Africa Law

Get Your South African Law Questions Answered by Experts

South Africa Law

My previous question with regards to property purchaced and

My previous question with regards...
My previous question with regards XXXXX XXXXX purchaced and not completed was answered.
New question rates and taxes was not paid and to date (6 years) I have not paid rates and taxes. Please advise if the 3 years apply in this case as per the previous answer.
Please advise what I am legally obliged to pay. Also provide references which I can use.
IE which law or sections of the law.
7/1/2010
WCLawyer
WCLawyer, Attorney
Good Morning

I have read your previous question which I have, co-incidentally, answered.

Your answer would be in Section 11 of the Prescription Act of 1969. I will post the relevant section for you here.

11. Periods of prescription of debts.—The periods of prescription of debts shall be the following:

(a)thirty years in respect of—

(i)any debt secured by mortgage bond;

(ii)any judgment debt;

(iii)any debt in respect of any taxation imposed or levied by or under any law;

(iv)any debt owed to the State in respect of any share of the profits, royalties or any similar consideration payable in respect of the right to mine minerals or other substances;

(b)fifteen years in respect of any debt owed to the State and arising out of an advance or loan of money or a sale or lease of land by the State to the debtor, unless a longer period applies in respect of the debt in question in terms of paragraph (a);

(c)six years in respect of a debt arising from a bill of exchange or other negotiable instrument or from a notarial contract, unless a longer period applies in respect of the debt in question in terms of paragraph (a) or (b);

(d)save where an Act of Parliament provides otherwise, three years in respect of any other debt.

Since this is a tax, you would only be able to plea prescription once 30 years have lapsed.

Unfortunately, due to the terms and conditions of this website, I am not allowed to refer you to a specific attorney. You will find a list of attorneys at www.attorneys.co.za.
WCLawyer
WCLawyer, Attorney
WCLawyer
WCLawyer
WCLawyer, Attorney