South Africa Law

Get your South African law questions answered by Experts

HII served a Section 189(3) notice on an employee who was…

Customer Question
HI I served a Section 189(3)...
HI
I served a Section 189(3) notice on an employee who was to be considered for retrenchment.
She announced her "retrenchment" on Face Book 10 minutes later to all her coworkers, who then relayed this info to our customers and suppliers.
This all took place before her first consultation regarding the possible retrenchment.
She now claims that it was ME that did not follow procedure, and that it was ME that disclosed that she had been retrenched BEFORE consultaion took place. She is suing for damages. It basically comes down to my word against hers: I did not EVER discuss her retrenchment with any employees.
Where do I stand on this from a legal point of view.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: South Africa Law
6/25/2010
Lawyer: Mike Otis, Legal Advisor replied 8 years ago
Mike Otis
Mike Otis, Legal Advisor
Dear Sir / Madam,

Thank you for your question. In my opinion, the actions of the employee smacks of opportunism. There is no way that she can hold you responsible for something that is entirely her own doing.

Moreover, the onus will be on her to prove, amongst other things, that:
1. She suffered harm;
2. You caused the harm through an act or omission on your part (i.e. disclosing the notice);
3. Your actions were unlawful.

If she cannot prove each of these elements, and it seems she will not be able to, she will not be successful with her action for damages.

I trust you find the above in order.

Yours faithfully,

Can she persue this through the CCMA?

Will I have to call her coworkers who are her Face Book friends and received her "anouncement" as witnesses if she does go to the CCMA?

Dear Sir / Madam,

If she has been retrenched, she could choose to refer the matter to the CCMA as an unfair dismissal case.

However, if proper procedures were followed and her dismissal was substantially fair, all she will achieve is to cause you some aggravation and wasted time. If the matter proceeds to arbitration, is advisable to instruct an attorney with labour law experience to represent you.

I trust you find the above in order.

Yours faithfully,
Mike Otis
Mike Otis, Legal Advisor
That is the crux of her argument - that it was not procedurally fair because the retrenchment was public knowledge PRIOR to consultation.
Dear Sir / Madam,

If she caused the retrenchment to become public knowledge by referring to it on facebook, she cannot rely on that fact in her claim against you, because that was not something that you did. If necessary, you may have to lead evidence to show that you did not cause the retrenchment to become public knowledge.

I trust you find the above in order.