South Africa Law

Get your South African law questions answered by Experts

Hi I put money into a wrong account. The acount I put the money…

Hi I put money into...
Hi I put money into a wrong account. The acount I put the money into is with a bank other the bank I have my account. I aproached the bank of the account holder and explained what I had done. They phoned the account holder and explained my problem. The customer said they would check there account to see if it was true, and if so they would refund me. This happened at the beginning of May and I have still not received my money. The bank tells me that they cannot do anything else for me. What is my next option to get my money returned. Thanking you Richard Wagner
6/24/2010
JJ
JJ, Attorney

Hi Richard

The easiest advice that I could give you is to consult a lawyer and to bring an application to court for the bank to divulge the info and for your money to be claimed back from the 3rd party on the basis of unjust enrichment. This is however also the most expensive way to do it!

My advice would be that you should get assistance from the Bank Ombudsman and lay a complaint against this other bank. They should be able to assist and you can also lay a complaint online. Their website and details can be found on:

http://www.obssa.co.za/

I really think that you should give this a go before going the legal route which as mentioned above, is going to cost you money. In the legal process you will first have to force the bank by application to the High Court to give you the account holder details, and then you will have to claim against the account holder for your money that you deposited into his account by mistake.

I trust this gives you some guidance?

Regards

Johann

JJ
JJ, Attorney
CaseLaw
CaseLaw, Attorney
Hi there,

Do you know the name of the holder of the account into which you deposited the money?

GoldLaw

Hi

The only information I have is that it is a Mrs. Govender. The reason I know this, is I overheard them talking to her on the phone. The phone call I overheard was the the initial call to her, to let her know about my error. Otherwise i do not have any more information regarding the hlder of the acount, except she is with Standard bank and that I am with Absa.

Richard Wagner

Hi Richard,

If you could track her down, perhaps using facebook, the telephone book, or google, then you could issue a summons directly against her for the return of your money. You could apply for summary judgment which, if granted, should give you the result that you want within a few short weeks.

If you don't have her details, then follow Johann's advice!

Regards
GoldLaw