South Africa Law

Get your South African law questions answered by Experts

Good Day, I received a letter from an attorney claiming I…

Customer Question
Good Day, I received a letter...
Good Day,
I received a letter from an attorney claiming I am the cause of a divorce, suing me for a sum of money (R60 000.00), however, he has moved out of the house before I met him. What are the legal options I can opt for?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: South Africa Law
Answered in 1 hour by:
6/23/2010
Lawyer: Mike Otis, Legal Advisor replied 8 years ago
Mike Otis
Mike Otis, Legal Advisor
Dear Sir / Madam,

Thank you for your question. If its is just a letter, you do not have to do anything as no consequences can flow from ignoring it.

If you receive a summons, you must instruct your attorney to defend the claim, as ignoring a summons will result in default judgment being taken against you.

I trust you find the above in order.

Yours faithfully,
Lawyer: CaseLaw, Attorney replied 8 years ago
CaseLaw
CaseLaw, Attorney
Hi there,

If you have received just a letter of demand or something similar, then you are not yet yet into the litigation proceedings.

If you have a defense to the wife's claim, which it seems like you do, then I would address a letter to the attorney in reply in which you give reasons why you were NOT the cause of the breakdown of the marriage and give reasons therefore.

e.g. You only met him after he moved out of the house.

In this way you are giving the attorney a small insight into your defense, which will hopefully get him to advise his client that she does not have a good case against you! Then they won't issue summons against you, and you shortcut the whole procedure!

Good luck, thank you for your question, and kindly accept my answer. Please leave some positive feedback for me!!!

If you feel that this answer exceeded your expectations feel free to award a bonus.

Regards

GoldLaw

Please note: This answer does not create an attorney-client relationship. Please consult a local attorney in person for legal advice. This information is being provided so you can better discuss legal matters with your attorney.
Dear Madam,

The above sets out your options correctly. You may choose to respond to the attorney's letter as set out above. This may have the desired effect, but it may also invite litigation. It is however correct that you have a choice between ignoring the letter and replying to it my means of a letter from your own attorney.

I wish you well.

Yours faithfully,
Dear Madam,

May I be of further assistance? If my answer adequately dealt with the issues raised in your question, kindly click the "accept" button in order to release my fee. Alternatively, I am happy to provide further assistance until you are satisfied.

I trust you find the above in order.

Yours faithfully,