How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask K. Groenewald Your Own Question
K. Groenewald
K. Groenewald, Attorney
Category: South Africa Law
Satisfied Customers: 19
Experience:  LLB (Pret). Extensive litigation experience in general civil & family law matters. Debt Counsellor.
Type Your South Africa Law Question Here...
K. Groenewald is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

How do I obtain a copy of my divorce decree issued in Randburg

Resolved Question:

How do I obtain a copy of my divorce decree issued in Randburg in 1986?
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: South Africa Law
Expert:  K. Groenewald replied 7 years ago.



Do you have the case number XXXXX the original court matter?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Sorry, no. Only the names of the parties and the year--and I'm not even sure of the year.
Expert:  K. Groenewald replied 7 years ago.
Do you know which court you were divorced in? Are you sure it was in Randburg?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
That's where we were both living at the time we were divorced, although he moved to Sandton around that time. I don't know whether divorces fell under Johannesburg or Transvaal. I don't remember if it was the provinical or the local courts that granted divorces. Thanks for your help.
Expert:  K. Groenewald replied 7 years ago.



Without the court and case number (which indicates the year as well), it would be extremely difficult, if not impossible, to track the court file and obtain a copy of the order. There are several possibilities as to which court it was as you were resident in Jhb at the time of divorce.


You may have more success asking your ex spouse for a copy of the order. If an attorney handled the matter, there is a chance that he/she may have some record of the details.


Should you require the order for a confirmation of some sort, the Dept of Home Affairs can issue a confirmation of your status.


I hope this is of some assistance.

K. Groenewald and other South Africa Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Dear Ms. Groenewald,

Thank you for you time. I am going to accept your answer, although it doesn't help me a great deal. I will be happy to pay you for more of your time if you would care to look int this further for me.

The problems, as you pointed out, are several:
1. The attorney who handled the matter, Hugo Fyfer, I believe died several years ago.
2. I have had no contact with my former husband, who is still in South Africa. I am in NY. We had no children.

Here are the facts:
Names: Brian XXXXX XXXXX, XXXXX Louise Collins (nee Reynolds). I still have my old SA Identity document, if that helps at all.
Date of divorce: August 13, 1986 or 1987
My (other) ex husband reminded me that divorces are supreme court matters. Hence the court would have been the Transvaal provincial supreme court.

I would hope that these records are stored somewhere on microfiche and can be accessed.

Any additional help you can provide will be most welcome.

Thank you again.

Virginia Reynolds