South Africa Law

Get Your South African Law Questions Answered by Experts

South Africa Law

What steps would a company have to take before blacklisting

Customer Question
a client...
What steps would a company have to take before blacklisting a client
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: South Africa Law
10/19/2009
Lawyer: JP, Attorney replied 8 years ago
JP
JP, Attorney

Good day!

A company normally only blacklist a client if the company obtained judgment for outstanding Debt or in the case of the client defaulting on payment.

This answer does not create an attorney-client relationship. Please consult a local attorney in person for legal advice. This information is being provided so you can better discuss legal matters with your attorney.

If you feel that this answer exceeded your expectations feel free to award a bonus.

Kind Regards

JP

This I understand, my question is will they have to go to court to get a judgment and serve summons or can they just black list you?

Hi again!

Some companies like the major banks will and can still list you as a bad payer (default) without a court judgment. This listing is however not so detrimental to your credit worthiness status as a formal judgment.

If you feel that you have been incorrectly blacklisted or blacklisted unfairly you can lay a complaint at the credit bureau ombudsman /www.creditombud.org.za

Kind Regards

JP

JP
JP, Attorney
May be I am just not understanding Embarassed; you say:

"or in the case of the client defaulting on payment."

Am I to understand that they can blacklist you without the interferance of the courts?

Thanks

Sorry for any misunderstanding Customer.

That is correct they can still blacklist you for non-payment(default) as well.The banks use this default listing between each other to establish if they can grant a loan to you or not but as i said this is not so intense as an actual blacklist for judgment(where they issued summons against you and obtained a court order.)

I hope everything is clear now if not feel free to reply im here to assist.Smile

Kind Regards

JP

JP
JP
JP, Attorney