How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JP Your Own Question
JP, Attorney
Category: South Africa Law
Satisfied Customers: 1063
Experience:  General South African Law.
Type Your South Africa Law Question Here...
JP is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I got divorced on the 3rd of September 1993. Have been to the

Resolved Question:

I got divorced on the 3rd of September 1993. Have been to the high court archives the records of the case numbers, for the months of sept and oct 1993 is not there, I urgently need to get some kind of documentation stating that I AM DIVORCED Can somebody olease help me
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: South Africa Law
Expert:  dkaplun replied 7 years ago.
What state or country are you located in?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Gauteng in South Africa

Expert:  dkaplun replied 7 years ago.
I am sorry, I am unfamiliar with South Africa law. Please hold on while I transfer your question to our South Africa section.


Dimitry Alexander Kaplun, Esq.
Expert:  JP replied 7 years ago.

Good day!


My advice:


1. Contact the Attorneys who handled your divorce ( I assume that you have already tried this) They are only obliged by law to keep their files for 5years but you might get lucky.


2.Registrar of the High Court if you got divorced in High Court , i think that you are searching under the wrong months. The reason i am saying this is that your attorney would have issued summons for divorce long before you got the court date. As soon as summons is issued you get a case number XXXXX this can be a few months before the actual divorce.


3.If the Registrar fails contact your attorney and find out which Sheriff he would have used to serve the summons on your husband. Contact the Sheriff he will at least have your case number XXXXX will simplify your search.


4. Then there is the last option: If there was property involved the conveyancer who transferred the property to you or your ex-husband would have had to lodge a copy of your divorce order to the Registrar of Deeds so he might have a copy of same or try the Registrar of Deeds they will however need the erf number.


I hope you succeed! But if you dont proceed To the Registrar of the High Court again they will need to assist you even if they issue a new copy.Dont take poor service from the Registrar as you pay for this service with your tax money.


This answer does not create an attorney-client relationship. Please consult a local attorney in person for legal advice. This information is being provided so you can better discuss legal matters with your attorney.


Thank you for your question and if you feel that I have been of assistance kindly accept my answer.


Kind Regards




JP, Attorney
Category: South Africa Law
Satisfied Customers: 1063
Experience: General South African Law.
JP and other South Africa Law Specialists are ready to help you