Software

Ask Software Development Questions and Get Answers ASAP

Can I call you? Apple I mac desk top. I believe so. My

Can I call you? ...

Can I call you?

Technician's Assistant: Which software or app can I help with?

Apple I mac desk top

Technician's Assistant: What Operating System (OS) are you running on your iMac?

I believe so. My warranty expired and I have been hacked from previous past word that I have since changed.

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been going on with your iMac? What have you tried so far?

I received this email a few days ago.

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Mac Expert to know before I connect you?

No thank you(###) ###-####

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Can I speak to representative? my warranty expired and I have been hacked?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
two days ago
7/21/2018
cvd4311
cvd4311, Computer Enthusiast

What warranty has expired and what has been hacked? What email have you received?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
My past email account from a few years ago with a different password ***** This individual threatened to send information from a few web sites to everyone in my contacts some of which I am not proud of.

which email account is that? Did you also change your password ***** that account? Can you still get into that email account?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I have since changed my passwords a few times. I still can get into my e-mail account.

If you changed your password ***** can not get into that account. Up top you mentioned a warranty has expired you have been hacked. If you have changed that password ***** email has no longer been hacked. Not sure what warranty you are talking about.

Can you give me more information about what you need from us to do?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
The hacker had my past password ***** the email he sent me
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I called the police and have the email but am not sure if it is legitimate password ***** not. He is demanding $1,900 through a bitcoin account to erase all of my files and not to send this info. to my contacts.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Sorry I mean his email being legitimate.

Do you happen to know if he copied and kept that email? If you have changed that email's password ***** can't get into it anymore.

Okay so you have contacted the police which is the first step. One it sounds like a scam because unless he has access to your account again he can't erase anything from your email including your files. Did you happen to open up an email and let him remote into your computer?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
If I provide the email address , can you check the to see if it is real or not?

Can you send me the email to***@******.*** I can check it that way.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
We opened up the first and email only. He contacted me just two days ago so has my new passorword right?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
thank you

Not unless he remote into your computer. Unless you clicked on something and he took over your computer then no. But if he sent something to you and you opened it and it locked you out of your computer then demanded bitcoin, then yes it took over your computer. When you opened the email did it take over your computer so that you couldn't do anything?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
No

Okay then if he didn't take over your computer then that part is a scam. You did change your password ***** your email (and all your email) so that is a good first step so he can't get into that. Can you copy and paste what the email says in here?

I can not find that name. Can you do me a favor and copy the first part of the header in his email so that I can check that out. It looks like his name is ***** *****

It will look like this (this is next to your name in the email): <*****@******.***>

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
not sure what the first part entails?

Looks like this in any email that was sent to you:

lou guadagnino <*****@******.***>

To:*****@******.***

It will be at the very top of the email

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
It identified his message as a spam on the the top sorry i did not see that.

Yes it is spam then. It is going around now. But make sure you change your password ***** send that email message to spam. If you need me I am here to chat all day.

Please RATE 4 stars and above and I will close the ticket.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Change my current password *****? You mean that he has no legitimacy here?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
It said that it would go away in 9 days. How do I send to spam sorry about the basic question?

Yes change your current password ***** your email address. Then put a check mark next to that email and click on spam at the top of your email and it will send that email to spam and he can never contact you again under that email address again.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you for your help

You are very welcome.

Please RATE 4 stars or above and I will close this ticket.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
It identified it as spam but at the end in blue it said if it's not spam??
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Is that common?

Yes, that is common. Once you send it to spam, he can't email you from that address anymore.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Not sure how to click on Spam at the top I do not see a heading labeled Spam....sorry?

Do you see a Junk folder?

Should be to the left

also it could say unwanted mail or spam or junk. once you see that click on that email then send it to that folder.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok junk email I"ll send it there. Thank you again

You are very welcome.

cvd4311
cvd4311, Computer Enthusiast