Software

Ask Software Development Questions and Get Answers ASAP

My Toshiba laptop powers up with all 4 lights at front (1…

Customer Question
My Toshiba laptop powers...

My Toshiba laptop powers up with all 4 lights at front (1 allow and 3 green) lit and fan working, but just a black screen, no desktop or logos , coming up. All I did was move it and power cable to another room.

Technician's Assistant: What's the model and Operating System (OS) of your Toshiba?

Don't know. I was using windows 10 I think. Its a Toshiba Satellite L505D-S5983 SYSTEM UNIT . Part no. PSL V6U-00J001. Serial# *****

Technician's Assistant: What have you tried so far with your Satellite? Have you installed any updates recently?

Not sure if I finished updating to windows 10

Submitted: 20 days ago.Category: Software
Customer reply replied 20 days ago
In my original question "allow" should read "yellow" in
Customer reply replied 20 days ago
The laptop is blank screen with just battery power also
Customer reply replied 20 days ago
I tried powering down and up many times
Customer reply replied 20 days ago
I also tried function keys
Customer reply replied 20 days ago
The light next to the DEL button comes on briefly
Customer reply replied 20 days ago
I was also in process of renewing Microsoft and Windows licenses
6/1/2018
Software technician: Byron, Computer Support Specialist replied 20 days ago
Byron
Byron, Computer Support Specialist

Hi. My name is***** you for your question and the opportunity to assist.

Please hold down the power button on the laptop for 4 - 5 seconds until all the lights go out and

you actually hear it shut off.

Remove the power cord and the battery from the laptop.

Firmly hold down the power button for 30 seconds and release.

Put the battery back in and plug in the power cord.

Turn the laptop on and let me know if it now starts normally.

Customer reply replied 20 days ago
no it still does not start normally. when I held the power switch down 4 -5 sects, not all the green lights went out - only when I removed the power cable did they all go out
Customer reply replied 20 days ago
should I have tried a second time?
Customer reply replied 20 days ago
does it matter which order I reconnect the battery versus the power cord?
Customer reply replied 20 days ago
ok I go to bed later anyway
Customer reply replied 20 days ago
any luck? I was thinking of going to bed shortly....

I'll open this up to the other experts. You'll receive an email notification when one responds.

No need to wait up.

Customer reply replied 20 days ago
well sorry -going to bed now 4.45am p.s.t.
Customer reply replied 20 days ago
can't see email without this laptop...
Software technician: Wes, Consultant replied 20 days ago
Wes
Wes, Consultant

Hi, my name is ***** ***** I'll be taking over the question. As you can probably imagine this isn't a good situation, the symptoms point to a likely motherboard failure. I'd like you to do the same thing Byron had you do (remove the power cable and battery) except hold the power button down for a full 30 seconds. The goal here is the completely drain any charge from the board. Once in a while this does work.

If you receive no response from the unit, I'm afraid it means there has been a failure on the motherboard. Typically it's not worth the time and hassle to test and replace individual components on the boards. You can find a new motherboard on ebay for around $100

https://www.ebay.com/i/263615066432?chn=ps

Keep in mind replacing the mother board is a major undertaking and will likely take you several hours, if not several days to complete.

As far as the data on the laptop, all of that is likely still intact. To retrieve it, you would need to take the hard drive out of the laptop and hook it up to a SATA to USB cable then connect it to another computer. You could then retrieve any files from the hard drive. This is one such cable: https://www.amazon.com/StarTech-com-USB3S2SAT3CB-Drive-Adapter-Cable/dp/B00HJZJI84

If this has answered your question, please leave me a 5-star rating before you go. If you need additional help with this subject, please type in the chat box below and hit the reply button and I will reconnect and assist you further.