Software

Ask Software Development Questions and Get Answers ASAP

Was trying to access a GIS utility mapping site and an alert…

Customer Question
Was trying to access...

Was trying to access a GIS utility mapping site and an alert came up and said to call immediately 1-888-668-588. Said he was a Microsoft employee MS-70533 and used the Mocrosoft Defender program to identify trojans and asked for CC to wipe out viruses for $199.00. is this a real MS deal?

Technician's Assistant: What device or product does this involve?

Surface

Technician's Assistant: What Microsoft model do you have? And the Operating System (OS)?

I'm not good at this it is an older surface how can I check

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been going on with your computer? What have you tried so far?

This just happened.

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Software
5/29/2018
Software technician: Russell H., Computer Support Specialist replied 2 months ago
Russell H., Computer Support Specialist

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is***** will do my best to provide the right answer to your computer question.
That is not a real Microsoft deal - and claiming to be another identity than his own, or falsely representing for sales purposes, can be a Dept-of-Commerce-regulated infringement infraction or (to put it bluntly) a crime.

For one thing, Microsoft would not have a number like that.

For another thing, though Microsoft software can have security holes, and there is a trifle of automated-monitoring (of system performance) built into recent Windows software, on the other hand, Windows Defender is a voluntary-participation piece of software and has no spying monitoring etc. functions - it just is a local agent that looks for bad stuff on your disk, and notifies you if there is, not someone else.

The call is a sign that your system may be vulnerable, yes, but such false representation is a fraud or attempted fraud. This is a familiar pattern, such scammers try to get your CC # and bill you for ridiculously large sums, hundreds at least.

Check your anti-virus protection by searching for

Security Status

then in that program, click on 'Security', and look in that section for information on your anti-virus software.

If you don't have better anti-virus software than Windows Defender, though, you may need better:

Your PC needs both a anti-virus suite, and a firewall of good quality (better than the Windows Firewall provided with Windows, that is.)

In this case, esp. if you are on a budget and cannot afford good-name security software (at about $90 or $100 a year) like McAfee or Symantec or Norton software, I would advise you to get

www.avast.com

which provides (when I last heard) both a free anti-virus (no-cost free, that is) and a free Firewall for internet security.

Download it, install it, update the anti-virus part fully, then do a Deep Scan (not just a Quick Scan) on your C: Hard Drive, and eliminate what it finds... this may take an hour or two, but should clean up your PC, and also leave it in a safer condition and less prone to be attacked successfully in future (esp. if you practice good internet practices, don't visit off-color websites, and also take care what emails you open, etc.)

- If this answers your question, please rate my answer using the five-star interface at the top of the JustAnswer question page .... A five-star rating would be appreciated! Thank you.

If you need more info, or have any comments, use Reply To Expert to respond.