Software

Ask Software Development Questions and Get Answers ASAP

My computer was running slow two days ago and when I shut it…

Customer Question
My computer was running...

My computer was running slow two days ago and when I shut it down and restarted it there were some updates being done. Now if I go to my computer it tell me the user name or password ***** ***** Also, when I shut it down now and start it back up it will go to a screen asking me to select a keyboard and then it will tell me to choose an option. I DID not want windows 10 and still don't. It is not good for my computer. I have a Acer Aspire ZC-700G.

Technician's Assistant: What have you tried so far with your Aspire? Have you installed any updates recently?

The computer installed them it self when I restarted it back up. I think it updatedy computer to windows 10. But I can't even connect my Wi-Fi to it.

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Computer Expert to know before I connect you?

Yeah, I need help getting my computer working. I have not ever had a problem but apparently this new update is giving people problems.

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Software
5/26/2018
Software technician: Russell H., Computer Support Specialist replied 2 months ago
Russell H., Computer Support Specialist

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is***** will do my best to provide the right answer to your computer question.

Unfortunately, there is some bad news: the asking you to choose a keyboard is a symptom of having upgraded to Windows 10, usually.

As for restarting while updates are being done - that is always as disastrous for a computer as running an automobile with a low oil level - or, very nearly. The operating system files get corrupted, and inability to log in is often the result.

If you can, boot up in Safe Mode, or with a Windows system disk, and try to do a System Restore.

If that cannot work, your system is badly damaged, and may have to be salvaged: data valuable to you gotten off it with a boot disk (if you haven't already copied it to a separate backup device e.g. a flash drive) and then Windows reinstalled from scratch.

I did not restart my computer while it was doing updates. My computer was running slow so I restarted it and while it was restarting my computer was updating. Now I have chosen a keyboard and it is asking me to choose an option which is continue, use another operating system, troubleshoot, or turn off your PC. When I hit continue my computer is loading and goes back to choose your keyboard.
Is anyone there? And my computer started updating when it was booting back up
OK. I just paid $39 for help with my computer and now the message is telling me that you are not available. So, do I get my money back or is someone going to help me with my computer issue?

Try 'use another operating system', if that can even progress as things are with the computer.

I would advise that you not interrupt the startup cycle of an update, either - that, also, can mess up an operating system. "Windows Update" is basically a slightly longer way of saying, "Don't hurry".

OK it went to my start up screen where it is asking for my password ***** will not accept it. Computer says "the user name or password ***** ***** " I have used that password ***** I have had my computer.
I didn't interrupt the update. Again, my computer was running slow, I shut it down like I am supposed to. I turned it on and it started updating. I didn't interrupt anything.

Good! Now the problem is, what update was installing or got installed on it?

Has the computer perhaps been updated to Windows 10 from Windows 8 or 7 ? that can complicate things.

Probably, I wasn't really paying attention. It just said it was updating and not to shut off the computer. So I walked away and did something else while it was down loading.

That's reasonable... I often approach (or rather, leave) updating that way myself.

Secure Remote service doesn't apply to a computer that cannot be logged in to, I'm sorry to say, so I cannot perform that service.

What to do next is a good question - and I am not at my best at this sort of case. So though I don't want to abandon the case, I may have to Opt Out and give you a chance with a different Expert here.

Please tell me, first, though: Do you have any other computer? for this sort of problem, another computer at hand can be very useful, for certain approaches to recovering access to the computer with the problem.

No, I only have this one computer and my smart phone. I don't have access to another computer.
Will I have to pay another $39. Also, can I just restore window 7 on my computer with a disk. My boyfriend has a windows 7 disk he said I could use.

That may make things harder to get done - unless you have a Microsoft bootup disc at least.

Also, if you have data on the computer that you want to salvage, that complicates things.

There *are* ways to get through this problem... but none are very quick, given that you have neither another computer nor a Microsoft boot/install disc (NOTE: a 'Recovery' [read: obligatory reinstall] disc will erase your data, so you may not use one if you have data or even programs installed that you want to salvage.)

I have Opted Out, with regrets, opening the case to any other Expert here that can take this case up.

- Yes, restoring could work, if you don't mind losing all your data and installed programs - very likely to happen, with a Restore disc, I must caution you.

Good luck! and thank you for your patience.

Software technician: Tim, Sr. Engineer replied 2 months ago
Tim
Tim, Sr. Engineer

Hello, I'm Tim and have over 15 years of experience with eBay, Google, and the Department of Defense.

Hi Tim, sorry but I am not spending another $39 for a technician to tell me my computer is no good. I can get it to down load anything so I am opting out. Thank you for you time and have a great day.

Try: unplugging PC, open the case and take out the CMOS battery (looks like a watch battery), put it back in and try to boot. Listen for odd sounds like a hard drive making noises it should not. Probably a driver issue, you may want to run to Walmart and buy the cheapest WIFI stick they have often under 13.00, or hardwiring it in, just so you can get online, and get the drivers for the card that is in there, then return what you bought -

your not, its covered under the same question.....was purely trying to help, i'm happy to leave.

Oh OK, but I'm not at home at this time so I can't try to find it anyway
Software technician: Chris Baxter, Programmer replied 2 months ago
Chris Baxter
Chris Baxter, Programmer

Hello!

The easiest way to fix this, as long as you do not care about what is on the computer currently is to wipe the thing, (hopefully it has a DVD/CD rom drive, if not this will complicate things. You will need to borrow a computer for this, so keep that in mind, we can rent them here for a short period of time from various places.

First, you will need a installation disk, or a USB drive with the installation information on it ready to be booted from.

Link for your installation information will be below:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/

Use the borrowed computer to download and burn the data to a disk for startup. Directions are at below link:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/windows-usb-dvd-download-tool

The link above gets you a USB startup disk with directions that start at the end of the last process, easy to follow.

This USB disk, when plugged in and started, will get you the screen that says "Press any key to boot from disk...." that you would normally get with the Windows DVD in the drive, and you can reinstall as expected from here. Plug it into your "dead" computer and restart, you should be seeing the above message, or "Loading Installation Files" or a lil white bar that loads really fast on the bottom of the screen.

Again, follow the directions on screen, Install, regular install, etc, continue, continue, put in new password, etc, and do not forget you need the key for the windows, the registration code or Product Key, it is usually on a sticker on the back, bottom side, under the battery.

This is the easier option of the two that come to mind.