Software

Ask Software Development Questions and Get Answers ASAP

I have a Surface Pro 3 that gets really hot in the top right…

Customer Question
I have a Surface...

I have a Surface Pro 3 that gets really hot in the top right hand corner.

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been going on with your Surface Pro? What have you tried so far?

It did it about two days ago and the fan started making a loud humming noise so I turned it off and it quit. Today I started it up and again it got really hot.

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Computer Expert to know before I connect you?

It is a i5 , running Windows 10 and has all current updates

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Software
I am not calling from my Surface Pro 3 as it heats up. I am calling from my laptop
I assume you have disconnected. as it has been over 40 minutes.
Can you please reply
5/26/2018
Software technician: Russell H., Computer Support Specialist replied 2 months ago
Russell H., Computer Support Specialist

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is***** will do my best to provide the right answer to your computer question.

That is a known issue, often mentioned, with the Surface Pro 3. There are supposedly some patches issued by Microsoft that address the problem... and yes, if the fan started running really hard and loudly, then the heating could be or become a serious issue and you did right to shut it Off and stop using it.

Overheating can destroy a laptop or tablet, making it end up with a 'black screen of death' sort of result.

Make sure nothing is blocking the grilles or vents in the Surface Pro. Also, if it is New, run Windows Update on it and download all the patches, since one may address this problem. Also, do not run the Surface Pro in an ambient temperature higher than 78 degrees F. or so... at least, not until this problem is solved.

Some Surface Pro 3 are said to be defective owing to a heat sink issue, and yours might on this basis, if still within warranty or especially if New, be replaced or exchanged, perhaps.

- If this answers your question, please rate my answer using the five-star interface at the top of the JustAnswer question page .... A five-star rating would be appreciated! Thank you.

If you need more info, or have any comments, use Reply To Expert to respond.