Software

Ask Software Development Questions and Get Answers ASAP

I have an hp2000 2b-80dx notebook. Won't start up. I did…

Customer Question
Hello I have an...

Hello I have an hp2000 2b-80dx notebook. Won't start up. I did system diagnostic and it said hd short Dst fail with a code. I just want my pictures off before sys reset

Technician's Assistant: What Operating System (OS) are you running on your laptop?

It came with Windows 8 then I did a free upgrade to 10

Technician's Assistant: Have you tried rebooting from a DVD or flash drive?

It won't recognize them. I even switched the booting order

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Computer Expert to know before I connect you?

Yes

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Software
Windows 10
Answered in 1 hour by:
5/25/2018
Software technician: Michael Rademacher, Network Administrator replied 2 months ago
Michael Rademacher
Michael Rademacher, Network Administrator

Hi, my name is ***** ***** welcome to JustAnswer. I'll be the one to assist you with your question. I apologize for the extended wait time you experienced, I've only just come online now and would like to assist you with your question. My goal is to give you the best experience possible! I hope I have earned a 5 star rating! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need more assistance, please use the reply box and let me know.

The diagnostics indicates that your hard drive failed. We need to determine to what extent.

You stated that the laptop won't start up. Could you tell me what screens you see and messages you receive?

You said that you tried to boot from DVD and/or USB flash drive. So you have a recovery/repair disk or Windows 10 installation media?

Do you have a second computer?

Do you hear any noise from your hard drive.

How old is the laptop?

Could you provide the service tag or serial number (should be on sticker on the back.

Sorry for all these question just need to know to determine course of action.

Thank You

Michael

Serial is 5CG3011G33 The system I'd is 188b. also I need to update the UEFI to the latest but again my USB not recognized. BIOS date was9/3/2012 revision f.13.It gave me error fail codes:
(Listed most recent to oldest)94GJXF-6HN92H- MFGJW1-60VV0394GJXF-6HN92M- MFGJW1-60XV03
94GJXF-6HN92Q- MFGJW1-60RD0394GJXF-6HN93P- MFGJW1-60WX03
I can't do this right now I'll give you the info here within the next couple hours but then I'll be out of pocket for another 2 hours.

No problem. Obviously, I cannot fix this or work on it remotely. Therefore, these are my suggestions:

Facts as I understand:

System not booting

Warranty is expired.

You have no external access to the system (USB...)

Not sure: You do not have a docking station connected.

Therefore, I would recommend

1. remove it from all peripherals (mouse, keyboard, printers, docking station...)

2. Remove the battery

3. Plug it inn to the wall outlet

4. Try booting

5. If its the same result, remove the hard drive, insert it in an external USB case (Best Buy..) and hook it up to a different computer as external drive. Then you can run diagnostics on it. Try the USB media in a different computer as well.

If all these function the problem might be the system board (since USB is not working either). The BIOS might be outdated but it should always provide basic functionality (or you would hear millions of complaints...) You might want to bring it to a laptop repair store.

Hello! Omg, thank you for your patience. Ok I'm going to sit down in a minute and answer your questions n try your suggestions. I do have a quick question. For the $39. 99. Does that mean you fix it ( w.r.t. hardware software requirements...)
Am I supposed to rate you each time we speak?

No. I do not know what automated messages you receive. You don't have to rate me until we are finished.

Ok well I'm going to remove hard drive n try what you said.

Ok. I would also recommend if you are able to get access to the hard drive to copy over all your data before you run any diagnostics. Then you would run

chkdsk [drive letter ] /R for example chkdsk e: /R

If no errors are found the problem is with your laptop and you need to get it to repair shop.

If the hard drive is not accessible please do not continue using it as the damage might get worse. Then I would try:

1. I would send it to a data recovery company if it is worth spending $1000 to recover data

2. If not 1. then I wold put it in the freezer for a short time and then hook it back up. Sometimes that allows accessing the drive for a short time before it fails again.