Software

Ask Software Development Questions and Get Answers ASAP

I have an old Dell Vostro, circa 2010. I started having

Customer Question
I have an old...

I have an old Dell Vostro, circa 2010. I started having problems when it wouldn't start so took it to my local PC World Tech Desk. The assistant plugged it in and it started first press of the button.

Technician's Assistant: What Operating System (OS) are you running on your Vostro?

More recently, I had an electrician come to my home to do some minor work that involved shutting off the power. My Dell tower refused to start afterwards. So I put it in the back of the car, took it for a ride and behold, on returning it started straight off. same thing after a recent power cut - took its round the block kin the car and again it started. Sounds weird but can anyone explain what going on?

Technician's Assistant: Does your Vostro make any noise when rebooted? Are any of the LED lights on?

White light glows att the back as soon as the power lead is plugged in When start button pressed, blue light appears on the front of the tower

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Computer Expert to know before I connect you?

You asked about operating system - its Windows XP

Submitted: 19 days ago.Category: Software
5/2/2018
Software technician: Russell H., Computer Support Specialist replied 19 days ago
Russell H., Computer Support Specialist

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is***** will do my best to provide the right answer to your computer question.

It might be that, if each time the power was cut off, the PC was quit warm, then it may be starting to have a problem with starting up when warmed up. It starts up well enough when it has been Off for long enough to cool down a bit.

This is common with aging electronics. By and by, when it becomes even worse, it won't start up at all - except perhaps when refrigerated.

But to stave off that time, be sure the fan grilles in the back are not clogged up with dust, and that the cooling fan runs when you turn it On! it might have two cooling fans, perhaps, if it is a Desktop/Tower model: one on the back of the power supply, and another to cool the interior of the Tower box. If so, both should be running for best results, and cleaned of dust - not just one, but both.

If this answers your question, please rate my answer, using the five-star interface at the top of the question page... A five-star rating would be appreciated! Thank you.

If you need more info, or have any comments, use Reply To Expert to respond.

Russell H., Computer Support Specialist