Software

Ask Software Development Questions and Get Answers ASAP

I am a court reporter that have an older stenograph machine…

Customer Question
Good afternoon. I...

Good afternoon. I am a court reporter that have an older stenograph machine that saves onto a disk. I've had no trouble saving my work onto the disk that goes into my machine but now am having trouble retrieving the information from the disks. I am moving from a DOS program to windows. My old DOS program will not read them, but when I've tried some of the recovery programs online, they seem to recognize the files by date but I can't access the information.

Technician's Assistant: What device or product does this involve?

I have an old computer with Windows 98 with only a disk drive. My machine is a regular stenograph machine that has a disk drive. My program in DOS is called Premier Power.

Technician's Assistant: When did you last update Premier?

It's been many years.

Technician's Assistant: What have you tried so far with your Premier?

In that program I used the "Read" option and it says "Insert disk" when it's already in the drive. (Some of my disks do work so I don't think it's the disk drive) I've also gone to DOS and tried the change directory (cd a:) and it will do the abort, retry.

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Software Expert to know before I connect you?

Not that I can think of right now.

Submitted: 18 days ago.Category: Software
4/3/2018
Software technician: Chris Baxter, Programmer replied 17 days ago
Chris Baxter
Chris Baxter, Programmer

Hello!

Unfortunately, that abort, retry error is an indication of the drive failing or starting to fail. Those older mechanical hard drives unfortunately have a tendency of going out, the little mechanical arm that moves the reader head starts to fail, do you hear a ticking noise coming from the drive? If so, it is dead. New drives can be found on Amazon and Ebay and other such things, and you can get a USB drive that plugs into your newer computer with ease. If it is the larger plastic disk, 5 1/4 inch drive, if it is a hard plastic disk not flexible, 3 1/2 inch drive. This is not a problem with your program, but the drive itself.

Chris Baxter
Chris Baxter
Chris Baxter, Programmer