Software

Ask Software Development Questions and Get Answers ASAP

Trying to log in to change phone # on account but can't

Customer Question
Trying to log in...

Trying to log in to change phone # on account but can't remember pw

Technician's Assistant: When were you last able to use your phone?

I'm on it now but this phone # is not on the account

Technician's Assistant: Have you tried a Factory Reset? The Smartphone Expert can walk you through this to ensure you don't lose your photos, contacts and other data.

But would I not still need the pw to log back in to my gmail to add this #

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Software
4/2/2018
Software technician: Ameen Khan, Computer Technician replied 2 months ago
Ameen Khan
Ameen Khan, Computer Technician

Hi, my name is ***** ***** welcome to JustAnswer. I will do my best to help you today.

It sounds like you are trying to add a new phone number to your security options to your email? and at the same time you are unable to access your email since you forgot your password. Is this accurate?

Okay, we will try a few things step by step. First lets look at your email account. Which provider is your email with? Gmail, yahoo, hotmail..etc

Gmail

Ok, I am not sure if you have already tried this. Please follow the prompts from this website to reset your gmail password:

https://accounts.google.com/signin/recovery

Let me know how it goes

That's just it all of the phone numbers have changed and I can't find a way to change them without my pw I can still use my gmail on the old phone

Hmm, that will be tricky, I have helped others in the past to recover their password, all depends on case by case scenario. The easiest way for us to solve this would be if we initiate a remote session and a live phone call. We will go through other steps together. Let me know if you are comfortable moving ahead with the Remote session and live call. Thanks

Ok

Let me know if you are okay with the offer, if not we will have to try the steps over chat. I am here to help you. Thanks

Not for that price

Okay, we will continue on chat then. Can you tell me the model of your phone so i can give you steps to try on there?

S7 active

ok, is the email setup on your phone through the native app or another app?

Native

Are you logged into the email and its currently receiving emails? or does it prompt you to enter password?

It is receiving emails
Hello

Sorry about the delay, Now lets try accessing this link from your S7 phone - the trick is to use a familiar phone but you have to be very careful in choosing the right options on the recovery method. Please consult with me for each prompt, As we can skip the ones you think are for sure wrong, but the question you know are 100% right, choose them.

So basically open this link from your S7 phone that has the email on it already: https://accounts.google.com/signin/recovery

Tried that and it went to to send a verification code to a phone # I don't have any more

So at that prompt, you don't select to send the code, you need to choose - try another method. Please be sure with each step and consult with me. Thanks. Try that

It says enter backup code

Okay, the backup codes are the ones given to you from Google security when you activated the security feature. Kindly enter any one of the 10 codes you have.

Where can I find those codes
Its asking for an 8 digit code the ones I have are 10

Its an 8 digit code.. i just checked on my gmail account.. I have ten different 8 digit backup codes. I downloaded them in a notepad when I setup my security 2 steps process. You need to enter any one of those 8 digit codes.

Following up, please tell me if you had the chance to try the codes.

Where can I get an 8 digits I have 2 10 digits but no 8

Its a text file which you have had downloaded when you went through the security setup for your gmail account. If you don't have those codes then you will have to choose try another method.