Software

Ask Software Development Questions and Get Answers ASAP

I have a google account and would like to transfer all

Customer Question
I have a google...

I have a google account and would like to transfer all dropbox picts to google photos

Technician's Assistant: When did you last update Dropbox?

Today

Technician's Assistant: What have you tried so far with your Dropbox?

Nothing

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Software
3/23/2018
Software technician: Eric Ewing, IT Pro replied 3 months ago
Eric Ewing
Eric Ewing, IT Pro
Experience: I am a technology professional with 20 years experience, and hold 15 industry certifications (from hardware/software repair to mobility to IT Security, and everything in-between!).

Hi! I'm Eric, a tech expert who's been paired with you through JustAnswer.com. I'm reviewing your question now, and will return w/ an answer soon!

The first step of getting your photos from Dropbox to Google Photos is simple, and it starts with installing the Dropbox desktop app. This app synchronizes a folder on your computer with the Dropbox cloud. If you already have the app installed and syncing your entire Dropbox account to your computer, you're ahead by one step.

If you haven't yet installed the Dropbox desktop app, do so now. Once you have it installed and you sign in to your Dropbox account, head into the app preferences and under "Account" look for "Selective sync." Here you can specify which folders are kept in sync with your computer, and which just stay up in the "cloud." For our purposes here, go through and uncheck every folder that doesn't have photos in it. This will save you time because your computer doesn't have to download everything in your Dropbox, and it'll save you storage space on your computer.

In short:

1. Install the Dropbox desktop app, sign in with your Dropbox credentials
  2. Enter the Dropbox app preferences, choose selective sync, and only sync the files with photos in them
  3. Files will begin to download in the background to a new Dropbox folder on your computer

Once that's set up and begins syncing, you can move on to the Google Photos portion. Depending on your internet connection speed it'll take some time to pull down the requested folders and their contents from Dropbox, but the first thing that'll show up are the high-level folders themselves — that's all we need to set up this system.

It's easy to install the Google Photos Backup desktop app and configure it to look at specific folders on your computer for photos to upload automatically. Once you've installed the app and signed in with your Google Account, go into the settings and under "Desktop folders" click the "Add..." button. You'll quickly see the Dropbox folder, and have the option to choose subfolders inside as well.

If you want to upload every photo you have stored in your Dropbox, regardless of location, then you can simply choose the top-level Dropbox folder and be done. If you're a bit more specific about which folders are uploaded, make that choice here. Before you click "Ok" to start the upload, also choose whether you want to upload these Dropbox images as "High quality" (up to 16MP, but with some optimizations) for free or "Original" (no changes made) and counting against your Google Drive storage allotment.

In short:

1. Install the Google Photos Backup desktop app, sign in with your Google credentials
  2. Uncheck any unwanted desktop folders, select "Add..." and instead select those new Dropbox folders that are syncing
  3. Choose whether you want "High quality" (free) or "Original" (paid storage) versions to be uploaded
  4. Wait as the uploader takes pictures from Dropbox and uploads them in the background

Now that you have Dropbox set up to sync down all of the folders you've designated as having photos in them, and also have the Google Photos Backup app scanning those same folders for photos to upload, you can sit back and relax while your computer does the work. No manually dragging and dropping, no worrying about which photos are where — the only limitation here is how fast your internet connection lets you download and upload. Give it a few hours — or a few days if your library is large — and your Google Photos library will be populated with all of your Dropbox photos.

Once all of your photos have finished downloading to your computer and then uploading to Google Photos — as indicated by both apps on your computer — you can then uninstall the Dropbox app (don't just delete the folder) if you no longer have a need for its syncing services.

Hello! Just quickly checking back in to make sure your issue is now resolved? When you have the chance, would you kindly let me know? Thanks so much for using JustAnswer.com!