Software

Ask Software Development Questions and Get Answers ASAP

I am submitting the question -- NONE of the documents on…

I am submitting the question...
I am submitting the question -- NONE of the documents on this IMAC will open! the contents can be viewed by clicking on "a quick look at the document"-- but nothing can be changed, in that mode, nor can anything be printed out, in that mode... help is needed to free my documents up!!!
3/19/2018
Pete, Computer Expert

I am Pete, and I'll be happy to assist with your question today.

First, try dragging the document file to the correct application icon, e.g. on the dock.

If that doesn't work, the next solution is to select the document directly from the desired application. First, launch the correct application and select its Open command (from the File menu). Then navigate to the folder that contains the document, select the document and click the Open button.

Let me know if either of these solutions work for you?

--------------------

Your satisfaction is my priority; I hope I have earned 5 stars today!

Please take a moment to rate my service 5 stars and press Submit at the top of your question page; tips appreciated :)

If my service is lacking and not worth 5 stars yet, please let me know before submitting your rating and I will do my best to assist you further.

Pete.

--------------------

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Am not sure that I understand "where to drag the document to"-- documents that are on the desktop, or that are filed away in "my documents" stored in "Finder" all react the same-- when "clicked on" they ALL just "kind of blink" (very briefly light up) then the light goes, but NOTHING happens-- NOTHING opens up. I have "clicked on 'open'" again and again! -- and again, NOTHING HAPPENS! have clicked on "open with pages" -- NOTHING happens... the one feature that will respond is "a quick look at this document" - that will open the document up-- you can see the "contents of the document" in that way-- but of course, it can't be "worked on" in that mode/ and nothing will print out, in that mode...

You will need to open the folder containing the document, then drag the document from the folder down to the application icon on the dock.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Would that icon be "Pages"? how does one do that? nothing will "merge" with that icon!
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
What is the "application icon" for this?

It depends what document you are trying to open.

Is it a Pages document?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
pages documents, although some have been "converted to Word"-- (to be able to send a document out to someone who does not have Pages)
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Am just noticing that a document that is a picture, DOES open up, per usual, when clicked on"...

Ok, is it only Pages documents that are affected?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
It seems to be "any/ all documents that I have made"-- these documents have been "made using Pages" -- although some have been "converted to Word", will not open it -- but it seems that what has been received from others, and then kept-- some of those will open up.

What version of Pages are you using?
What is the file extension of the affected documents?

Did you recently install any new programs or updates, or make any other system changes?

Pete, Computer Expert
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Sorry, I don't know how to find "what version of Pages" this is currently on/ nor what "the file extension" is-- everytime "updates available" appears, however, this machine has been "updated"...

Ok, I can take a look remotely to speed things up.

Please click on the link below to download a remote desktop assistance program so that I can remotely connect to your computer:

http://www.justanswer.com/remotedesktop/join.aspx?Session=1ca30adc-d047-487b-9e49-611d4445b9d9&Type=Java

When a new web page opens, click the green "I Agree" button, and run the downloaded file (named Elsinore.ScreenConnect.Client) by double-clicking it. Permit the connection if asked so that I can connect. We will then be able to chat as well.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
the program will not open up on this machine-- the notice says: because it is "from an unidentified developer"-- frustration! you should know that I am in Korea, so chatting on the phone might be impossible-- however 82-61-281-6443 is house phone/(###) ###-####3440 is hand phone
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Is there some way to "override" that refusal?

To override your security settings:

1. In the Finder, locate the download I sent you.

Don’t use Launchpad to do this. Launchpad doesn’t allow you to access the shortcut menu.

2. Control-click the app icon, then choose Open from the shortcut menu.

3. Click Open.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Now I need to change from Chrome to Safari-- to download the Java app.-- how does one change???
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Finally seem to have Java installed, and also the Elisnore. screen connect seems to be installed. what is next?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I am ready to work on this-- if anyone there is ready to help...
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Is no one is available to work on my request??? please let me know...
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Have been waiting several hours... would like an "update" please...

Hi, sorry for the delay, I was offline. Are you available now?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Am online now-- can we work now?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Hello — “Korea time” doesn’t match working hours with time at home in USA very well - so matching time is a challenge!
Could we make an appointment like this? 2:30 pm there will be 6:30 am here - is that a time for you to be online?
Am really needing to have my computer functioning again...! Hazel
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
That is assuming that you are in CA time zone...

Hi Hazel, I am in Europe, I will be available this evening which in your time zone will be 4am - 10am. Does any time tomorrow morning suit you?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
It does! am online now--can we work now?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Am not sure if the file downloaded? both the Java app. andthe Elsinore.ScreenConnect icons are now on the screen, however.

You will need to run the downloaded Java file by double-clicking it. Permit the connection if asked so that I can connect.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Even though I clicked on Safari -- somehow the Chrome connection is still in force-- so the message comes out: cannot be downloaded because this is from an unidentified developer... tried to use "control-double click" from the download in Finder, but same message appears-- what can I do to override this?

Sorry, I am out of ideas on this one. I will open up the question to the other experts now.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Perhaps the problem has resolved itself-- with "shut down" then "start" -- the documents that I have tried to open, since that, have opened up! (before had only done the "re-start") sorry to have wasted your time, and my $! thank-you for your effort, in any case. When problems occur in future, I will get in touch with "justanswer" again... Hazel Peterson
Pete, Computer Expert