Software

Ask Software Development Questions and Get Answers ASAP

I did a Windows 10 update and my computer went screwy. Must…

Customer Question
I did a Windows...

I did a Windows 10 update and my computer went screwy. Must have been a virus. Anyway, AOL had me change my user name and password. Now I've lost all my messages and contacts. Can I go back to my original user name and pass word?

Technician's Assistant: What device or product does this involve?

My desktop

Technician's Assistant: What's the brand/model of your laptop?

It's my desktop and it is a Dell.

Technician's Assistant: What have you tried so far with your Dell? Have you installed any updates recently?

No.

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Computer Expert to know before I connect you?

A friend had to re-install AOL because I couldn't even pull it before when everything was screwy.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Software
3/17/2018
Software technician: Russell H., Computer Support Specialist replied 4 months ago
Russell H., Computer Support Specialist

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is***** will do my best to provide the right answer to your computer question.

An AOL username, regrettably, once deleted, cannot be restored.

And even if you could go back to your previous AOL username, it would not have its Contacts etc. with it any more, if it has been deleted.

Let me know - did you close, cancel, or delete your former screen name?

If this answers your question, please rate my answer. A five-star rating would be appreciated!

If you need more info, or have any comments, use Reply To Expert to respond.

Thanks.

Did you simply contact AOL, and they told you how to create a new AOL account?

I did not contact AOL. When I tried to log on as usual it said it did not recognize my user name/password ***** to open a new account. So I followed their instructions and opened a new user name and password. If I had known I'd lose everything I would have never opened a new acct. I did not delete, close, or otherwise do anything with my old acct. In fact, other sites let me still use my old user name/password. Doesn't that mean it still exists out there in cyber space. I think AOL is responsible and should fix it.
I have already paid $40 and got nothing. I need some guarantees before I spend anymore money and still get nothing. What does "securely connect" really mean and what does it do?

Thank you - you may ignore the solicitation for additional services (and with them, charges). I did not send that message to you, the website system did. (And I have no control over such messages.)

OK... you need to retrieve the password ***** your former account, which is NOT gone, I'm glad to say, according to all you have said.

It isn't lost... it's just that your current install may be configured to the new AOL account.

Try going onto www.aol.com using your computer's web browser, try to sign into the old account there, and see about the 'Forgot password?' or similar link there - pursue getting the password ***** there.

Once the password ***** ***** you can sign in to your old account with it!