Software

Ask Software Development Questions and Get Answers ASAP

Just like 2 days ago my system was hacked by something

Customer Question
Hi, Just like 2 days ago...
Just like 2 days ago my system was hacked by something called Sigma Ransomware. I thought this was no big deal for the last couple days because I could pretty much do what I've been doing. Until today my files seem to be messed up or inaccessible, at least some of them. Not even positive my screenshot will show. Let me know. Can you please help me? I don't even care if you have to login to my computer...anything please!!
Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Software
3/16/2018
Software technician: Eric Ewing, IT Pro replied 4 months ago
Eric Ewing
Eric Ewing, IT Pro
Experience: I am a technology professional with 20 years experience, and hold 15 industry certifications (from hardware/software repair to mobility to IT Security, and everything in-between!).

Hi! I'm Eric, a tech expert who's been paired with you through JustAnswer.com. I'm reviewing your question now, and will return w/ an answer soon!

I am so sorry to hear this has happened to you!

Here's something we can try:

1 During your computer start process, press the F8 key on your keyboard multiple times until the Windows Advanced Options menu appears, and then select Safe Mode with Command Prompt from the list and press ENTER.

2. When Command Prompt mode loads, enter the following line: cd restore and press ENTER.

3. Next, type this line: rstrui.exe and press ENTER.

4. In the opened window, click "Next".

5. Select one of the available Restore Points and click "Next" (this will restore your computer system to an earlier time and date, prior to the SIGMA ransomware virus infiltrating your PC).

6. In the opened window, click "Yes".

7. After restoring your computer to a previous date, download and scan your PC with recommended malware removal software to eliminate any remaining SIGMA ransomware files.

To restore individual files encrypted by this ransomware, try using Windows Previous Versions feature. This method is only effective if the System Restore function was enabled on an infected operating system. Note that some variants of SIGMA are known to remove Shadow Volume Copies of the files, so this method may not work on all computers.

To restore a file, right-click over it, go into Properties, and select the Previous Versions tab. If the relevant file has a Restore Point, select it and click the "Restore" button.

If you cannot start your computer in Safe Mode with Networking (or with Command Prompt), boot your computer using a rescue disk. Some variants of ransomware disable Safe Mode making its removal complicated. For this step, you require access to another computer.

To regain control of the files encrypted by SIGMA, you can also try using a program called Shadow Explorer. More information on how to use this program is available here.

If the above steps don't get the job done, I regret to say that your files may be very difficult to recover. SIGMA uses the RSA-2048 encryption algorithm, which generates public (encryption) and private (decryption) keys. Since restoring files without the private key is impossible, criminals hide it on a remote server and demand a ransom to receive it. The cost of the decryption key and associated tool is $1000 in Bitcoins, however, the message also states that the cost will double after seven days. To submit payment, users are encouraged to visit SIGMA's Tor website and follow instructions provided. Note is that users can use a XAMP live chat to contact cyber criminals. They are also permitted to send several files to SIGMA's developers. The criminals then decrypt these files and return them as a 'guarantee' that decryption is possible. Bear in mind, however, that cyber criminals cannot be trusted. These people often ignore victims, once payments are submitted. There is no guarantee that your files will ever be restored and you will probably be scammed. Paying will simply support cyber criminals' malicious businesses and you will receive nothing in return. Therefore, we strongly advise you to ignore all requests to contact these people or pay ransoms. Unfortunately, there are no tools capable of cracking RSA-2048 cryptography and restoring files compromised by SIGMA. The only option is to restore files/system from a backup.

Let me work on this and I will let you know. Did I do something wrong to let this in? Did I open something wrong? Did I not use the right software virus protection?

This particular virus ordinarily spreads via Craigslist or via an email purporting to be from Craigslist. Had you recently been using Craigslist? If not, I'll try and figure out if it has begun spreading via another method.

I use craigslist all the time to advertise my properties. Would it be from the site or by clicking on a response from an evil player off the site?

Most likely the latter, since reports of this malware do not reflect a widespread issue.

Eric, unfortunately I got hung up on step 1 - the F8 button didn't do anything. Isn't there a way to just type like cmd somewhere or something to get that command prompt box or something? I restated the computer and kept hitting F8 or then CTRL F8 but neither worked.
I have windows 10 - does hitting the F8 button work on that?
Eric, where did you go? Need you! :-)

Apologies! I've only just seen your response. Please try this to get to a command prompt on Windows 10:

The easiest way to begin the process of booting into Safe Mode with Command Prompt is from the Windows 10 login screen. To access this screen, you can either log out, reboot your computer, or press the Ctrl+Alt+Delete keys a the same time.

Once you are at the Windows 10 sign-in screen, you should hold down the Shift key on your keyboard and not let it go. While holding down the Shift key, click on the Power button () and then click on Restart.

When Windows 10 restarts, you will be at the Choose an Option screen.

Click on the Troubleshooting button to access the Troubleshoot options screen.

Now click on the Advanced Options button to access the Advanced Options screen.

Click on the Startup Settings option and you will now be presented with the Startup Settings screen.

Click on the Restart button. Windows will now begin to start, but you will be presented with a screen that provides various options you can select to specify how Windows should be started.

At this screen you should press the number 6 key on your keyboard to enter Safe Mode with Command Prompt.

Windows 10 will now boot and you will be presented with the normal login prompt. Enter your password, and you will be brought directly to a Windows Command Prompt rather than the normal Windows desktop.

From this prompt you can enter commands that you wish to execute, per step #2 in the original directions. Please let me know if that works!