Software

Ask Software Development Questions and Get Answers ASAP

Windows 7 and Microsoft 7: can no longer fax nor scan to…

Windows 7 and Microsoft...

Windows 7 and Microsoft 7: can no longer fax nor scan to computer or email.

Technician's Assistant: Is there an error code on your printer when you try to scan?

Not that I remember

Technician's Assistant: When did you last update the printer driver software?

Maybe a month ago with the computer tech who takes care of our devices.

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Printer Expert to know before I connect you?

Lack of ability to fax and scan seems to be related to the last service to remove virus.

You answered my question: Microsoft 7 can no longer fax or scan. If I am going to buy the new Microsoft 365, I need to know what abilities it has such as faxing and scanning to computer and email
3/15/2018
syseng
syseng, Systems Engineer

My name is David.

What is the make and model of the device you use to fax and scan? Windows 7 still has the ability to fax and scan and even has the Windows Fax and Scan utility included.

Using HP OfficeJet Pro 8610.; I had a new document I needed to fax, gave it a try, and it went through. At least the Fax Log indicated it went through. Tried to scan to computer and now that's working. Cannot scan to email nor memory device.

Since it was just recently working, first perform a power reset as

that will drain errors from memory and may resolve the issue. Unplug the

printer power cord and unplug all peripherals. Then leave the printer for

about 5 minutes to let all power drain. Then plug the printer power cord

into a wall socket (not a surge protector or power strip) and then plug the

printer back into all peripherals. Then power up the printer and test to see

if the issue is resolved.

Please let me know the result.

syseng
syseng, Systems Engineer
Today has been a day from hell. I hate computers and the screwed up directions at Support sites that only a techie could understand. My scan to email is messed up because my password ***** changed. In order to fix it I must double click the printer icon on the desktop. It's not there because msn took over my home page from aol and wiped out half the icons from my desktop. My list of "favorites" has also been done away with and I am really up to my earballs with aggravation. I must exercise often and raise my heart rate after open heart surgery. This is not the way to do it. Thanks for letting me vent, David. Sandy

Hi Sandy -

I understand - really I do since I see these changes that are deployed without warning to users happen nearly everyday. Please let me know how you would like to proceed. It sounds like the first thing you need resolved is a password ***** of your email account so you have access to it once again - is that correct?

I need to reset my password ***** the printer in order to email to others. My directions were to double click on the printer icon on my desktop. The icon is missing. Let's not get to carried with this as I may need to have my computer stripped again as it may have been hacked. This time all files in Word and Excel are gone. I really appreciate all you have done to help me. I am declaring this a lost cause and will bite the bullet and invest in a new computer.
Found the icon and the Word and Excel files. Earlier I had seen the opportunity to create my own ownership of the computer and set up a file. That's when I had no icons, no files. My husband went on the computer (under his signin) and there he had all the icons and files. Sweet relief!! Found the printer icon, found how to change my password, sent an email from scanner. Case solved. Haven't tried scanning to memory device. Will do so in the morning when I'm not so wrung out. Thanks again, Sandy

That is very good news!

It is a shortcoming of some software installations, in this case Microsoft Office, that the installation does not place the same icons and configuration in each user profile by default and it sounds like that must be what happened. Either that or, as you mentioned, malware may have deleted the icons and access to Word and Excel in your user account profile but not in his.

Now that the issue is resolved, if you still suspect there may be malware on your computer, running a full anti-virus scan is recommended.