Software

Ask Software Development Questions and Get Answers ASAP

I use Vimeo for my videos and password protect them, so they…

I use Vimeo for...

I use Vimeo for my videos and password ***** them, so they can be played but not downloaded. They don't accept audio files. I have playlists of audio files that I want password ***** so that someone can play them, for example with VLC, but they cannot download them for future use. What software will allow me to do this?

Technician's Assistant: Which software or app can I help with?

I just told you the issue.

Technician's Assistant: What have you tried so far with your software?

Did you understand the question or not. Maybe you're a bot.

3/14/2018
Pete, Computer Expert

I am Pete, and I'll be happy to assist with your question today.

Hello Pete,Do you have a solution?
You don't need to connect to my computer. You just need to answer man question.

You can ignore any automated offers that may pop up - they are sent automatically by the site and not by me.

OK

You can use Vimeo for audio files as well.

Here's how: https://vimeo.com/29637700

--------------------

Your satisfaction is my priority; I hope I have earned 5 stars today!

Please take a moment to rate my service 5 stars and press Submit at the top of your question page; tips appreciated :)

If my service is lacking and not worth 5 stars yet, please let me know before submitting your rating and I will do my best to assist you further.

Pete.

--------------------

I don't think that is going to work. That is to put into a blog post.
I need to upload a playlist of 75 MPEG-4 audio files that can be protected with a password ***** a single play only with the VLC player. It doesn't have to be Vimeo. I'm just just Vimeo has that technology for videos. There might be other software that could do the same thing. I can't just put the playlist in Dropbox and password ***** it because as soon as they download they have it. See what else you can find out there. Thanks.

Vimeo will work for this, or you can use other protection such as StarForce:

http://www.star-force.com/solutions/audio-video-content-protection/

OK. Thanks, ***** ***** can't do it right now but I'll try it out as soon as I can and let you know how I did.

Ok, let me know how it goes!

Pete, Computer Expert
I haven't had a chance to work on the Vimeo solution, but there could be a problem with that. As I said I use VLC because I need the shuffle feature. I don't think Vimeo offers that. ?? Also, while I though Star-force might work, I am a MAC user and they don't have that capability yet. They said it is coming. Is there something similar that would run on macOS Sierra?

To shuffle the order of your Vimeo files, see:

https://vimeo.com/221933899

Sorry, Pete but that video about posting to blog is not relevant. Everything I read says Vimeo does't support audio files. When I try to upload as I would a normal video, it just crashes Preparing to upload - Vimeo Help Center https://help.vimeo.com/hc/en-us/articles/229838988-Preparing-to-upload All videos uploaded to Vimeo will be converted to square pixels. Regardless of format, all videos will be displayed at the correct aspect ratio. Vimeo does not accept audio files, image files, or other non-video formats, such as: MP3, WAV, WMA, JPG, and PNG. I think we need a different solution. I have attached a folder with 75 audio files to use as an example. I drop this folder into VLC and it shuffles and plays. It has to shuffle because this is a bingo game I created. Why don't you see if you can do this in vimeo on your end, and if you can then we have a solution. Otherwise we need another solution. I am marketing this game and need to allow them to 1) access the file via a password ***** 2) Not allow them to download it. As you know, Vimeo is perfect for that with video files. I will be home later this evening and will check in with you. ​ 16 Candles.m4a ​​ A White Sport Coat.m4a ​​ At the Hop.m4a ​​ Baby It's You.m4a ​​ Blue Moon.m4a ​​ Blue Velvet.m4a ​​ Book of Love.m4a ​​ Born Too Late.m4a ​​ Calendar Girl.m4a ​​ Cathy's Clown.m4a ​​ Chantilly Lace.m4a ​​ Come Softly.m4a ​​ Da Doo Ron Ron.m4a ​​ Davy Crockett.m4a ​​ Dawn.m4a ​​ Denise, Denise.m4a ​​ Diana.m4a ​​ Don't Be Cruel.m4a ​​ Dream Lover.m4a ​​ Dreamin.m4a ​​ Duke of Earl.m4a ​​ Ghost Riders.m4a ​​ Great Balls of Fire.m4a ​​ Green Door.m4a ​​ He's a Rebel.m4a ​​ He's So Fine.m4a ​​ Hello Mary Lou.m4a ​​ Honeycomb.m4a ​​ How High the Moon.m4a ​​ I Get Around.m4a ​​ I Love Lucy.m4a ​​ I Will Follow Him.m4a ​​ I Wonder Why.m4a ​​ In the Still of the Night.m4a ​​ It's Only make Believe.m4a ​​ Johnny Angel.m4a ​​ Just One Look.m4a ​​ La Bamba.m4a ​​ Little Darlin.m4a ​​ Little Star.m4a ​​ Lonely Teardrops.m4a ​​ Monster Mash.m4a ​​ Moody River.m4a ​​ Mr. Lee.m4a ​​ Mr. Postman.m4a ​​ Oh Donna.m4a ​​ Oh Lonesome Me.m4a ​​ Only the Lonely.m4a ​​ Pallisades Park.m4a ​​ Personality.m4a ​​ Poetry in Motion.m4a ​​ Pony Time.m4a ​​ Poor Little Fool.m4a ​​ Popsicles and Icicles.m4a ​​ Problems, Problems.m4a ​​ Raindrops.m4a ​​ Rawhide.m4a ​​ Return to Sender.m4a ​​ Ring of Fire.m4a ​​ Rockin Robin.m4a ​​ Runaround Sue.m4a ​​ Save the Last Dance.m4a ​​ Sh' Boom.m4a ​​ She's a Fool.m4a ​​ Silhouettes.m4a ​​ Singing the Blues.m4a ​​ So Much in Love.m4a ​​ Spanish Harlem.m4a ​​ Speedy Gonzales.m4a ​​ Splish Splash.m4a ​​ Stagger Lee.m4a ​​ Stand By Me.m4a ​​ Take Good Care of My Baby.m4a ​​ The Lion Sleeps Tonight.m4a ​​ Treat Me Nice.m4a ​ Thanks. Curtis

Pete,I sent an email to you on March 15th, but I think it went to the wrong place so maybe you didn't get it. I do see it now in our conversation log. Please refer to it above. Yes, I did give you a five star rating but we're not done yet. Thanks.

Vimeo can support MP3 files - have you tried this?
https://vimeo.com/29637700

There is a failure to communicate here. I explained that it didn't work and showed you Vimeo's statement that they do not support audio files and MP3s. Also posting to a blog is not what I want to do.
I will be back online this evening to check your response. Thanks.

Ok, then you may want to consider using SoundCloud:

https://soundcloud.com/

Hey Pete,I read up on Soundcloud and it appears like it has the capabilities we nee. Won't know for sure until I test it out.
Thanks.Curtis

Great, have a nice day Curtis :)
Pete.

Peter,Close but no cigar.
Here’s why: Soundcloud detected that these tracks were owned by recording companies and wouldn’t upload them. Otherwise it probably would have worked.
I have paid the extra $46 for the month so that we can continue to find a solution, either through you or someone else there at Just Answers.I think it would be good to give you the backstory so you will know exactly what I have and what I am trying to accomplish. For the last two years I have been creating nostalgia movies using clips that I find on Youtube and then edit using Imovie. The clips are often from old songs, movies, and TV shows. I use these in a Keynote presentation at nursing homes.Recently I started doing Trivia using my songs, like a name that song game and then switched to a Bingo format with the song titles on the bingo card. Continuing to use Youtube and Imovie because I was familiar with the program for editing, I gathered songs and edited them into one minute clips. Each playlist is comprised of 75 songs that I drag into VLC and it shuffles them when we play the game. Everything works perfectly. I have playlists for each decade – 50’ – 2k and then multiple combos, combining 2 – 3 decades as well.Everything works great for me personally. However, I have two objectives in mind. First, to authorize other people to provide the service in other location, and second, to be able to provide the product directly to a pub/restaurant, allowing their staff to run the show.For the aforementioned videos that I created, I have licensees in other states. I provide them Quicktime movies through Vimeo and can control access by simply changing the password. That is exactly what I am trying to do with these audios.Otherwise, anyone could download the playlists and have complete access anytime they wantedIf you still believe this can be done through Vimeo (which I don’t believe) then try it yourself.If we are unable to come up with a solution to protect access, another idea would be to load everything onto a tablet and then lease the tablet. So if someone didn’t pay we could go after the tablet. In the long run, having a dedicated device that doesn’t require Internet or downloads would probably be ideal. The simpler we can design it, the better. I could provide the bingo cards laminated, and they could purchase more as needed so the tablet would be to simply and easily select and play any playlist that was loaded or put all the playlists on the tablet and require payment for certain authorizations. I guess there are a lot of ways to go with that but I am getting ahead of ourselves. One step at a time.OK, please give that some thought. There is no super rush. I am leaving for Florida for a two week vacation. I will be checking email, of course.Good luck, Pete. Keep me posted.