Software

Ask Software Development Questions and Get Answers ASAP

Am not able to access Skype.... Yesterday but with no video…

Customer Question
Am not able to...

Am not able to access Skype....

Technician's Assistant: When could you last open your Skype?

Yesterday but with no video or camera (for awhile) I shut down the computer, restarted it and the camera came oin but no video

Technician's Assistant: Did you recently update your software or Operating System (OS)?

Don't believe so and must say that I am not computer savy, sorry

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Software Expert to know before I connect you?

Had this problem about 3 wks. ago and contacted a Skype technician in the Phillapines and for a cost of $97.00 American the problem was temporily fixed but now there is problems. I contacted my daughter in Calgary, she could see me but no sound and my sister in Florida, same she could see me but sound sounded like a bird

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Software
Answered in 1 hour by:
3/13/2018
Software technician: Jeevan DSouza,
 replied 3 months ago
Jeevan DSouza

Hello! I'm sorry you are having this problem. Try this:

1) Use the latest version of Skype.
For best performance, make sure that you and the person you’re calling are using the latest version of Skype. Download the latest version.

2) Check your connection.
If the video freezes, looks block-like or has motion blur, it might be your internet connection (or your friend’s) causing the problem. If Skype detects a weak connection, it will reduce the quality to try and stop the call from dropping altogether. Check out our guide to solving connection issues.

3) Check your webcam.
Make sure your camera is installed, plugged into your computer, and turned on. If you’re using an external camera and you’re having problems with video, try plugging it into a different USB port. If you’re using a USB hub, try plugging it directly into your computer.

4) If you can't see your friend's video, the problem is either with their video/webcam, or with your settings.

Check your privacy settings.
In Skype, select Tools, then select Options. In the Skype Options window, under Automatically receive video and share screens with, make sure that either anyone or people in my Contact list only is selected. If you select no one, you won't be able to see any video.

Also try this....

Make sure your webcam is pointing towards you and that there's nothing obstructing it.
If your room is too dark, your webcam will try to amplify the light to make the picture brighter, which reduces the video quality.

When you’re in a video call, make sure that your video is switched on. If the video button has a line through it, like this, it means it’s switched off. Click the video button to switch it on.
Close any applications that might be using your webcam – including video-editing software, virtual camera software, instant messengers and internet browsers. If your webcam has a light to show when it’s in use and you see it when you’re not in a Skype call, then some other application is using your camera.

If you have more than one webcam connected to your computer (the built-in camera plus an external one), try changing the one that Skype is using. Select Tools, then select Options. In the Skype Options window, select Video Settings. Select a different device.

Select the Windows key and type Device Manager, from the search results select Device Manager. Under Imaging devices, make sure your camera is listed. Right-click it and select Enable (if you see a Disable option, then the camera is already enabled). If it's not listed, or if you see a question mark or exclamation mark, you'll need to update your driver software. Right-click it and select Update Driver Software, then select Search automatically for updated driver software. If Windows doesn't find a new driver, try looking on the device manufacturer's website.

If this solves the problem, please give me a 5-star rating

Jeevan DSouza
Jeevan DSouza
Jeevan DSouza