Software

Ask Software Development Questions and Get Answers ASAP

How after a Facebook profile page is reported as being fake…

How long after a Facebook...
How long after a Facebook profile page is reported as being fake (impersonation), is it taken down?
The fake profile is of an American that I used to work withI have even sent proof of this imposters old profile (fake birthdate, several FOREIGN friends and only 5 Americans) as well as his new profile ( no comments on his 2 pictures (except 1 Filipino) which the person’s real profile has several)Facebook received my certified letter on Feb 27 and the fake profile is still up there
Answered in 2 days by:
3/15/2018
Jason Jones, Computer Technician

I look forward to helping you today.

Did you contact Facebook or did the person that is being impersonated contact Facebook?

I will be standing by, looking forward to your response.
Thank you,
Jason

I have run out of ideas.

For this reason, I am opting out of the question and allowing another expert the chance to help.

The next expert will see all that is on this page, so there will be no need to repeat anything.

When another expert picks this up, you will be notified by email.

Thank you for your patience.

- Jason

Jess M., Computer Support Specialist

Hi, welcome and thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I am glad to assist you today.
I am very sorry about your issues. Do you still need help with this problem? If yes, few things first:

1. Do you have a Facebook account for yourself?
  2. Or you submitted the report as a representative?

Please let me know by replying to me here so that I can help you further.
Best regards,
Jess

To answer your question, YES and NO.

Yes because those pictures and links are automatically provided by FB and shown on his account even though it is an impostor account. The pictures and links there are legitimate FB profiles that match the data shown in the impostor account.

For instance, if an impostor pretends to be living in a certain place, or visiting a certain place, people who visited the place or who lived in that place can show up there and the impostor did not do it manually. Facebook is a social network site so it provided those information to easily reach out to people of the same interest or with matching criteria.

If you reported the impostor account WITHOUT your personal Facebook profile, your only way of monitoring as when FB acts on your request is through email where you originally created the report. But if you reported using your personal FB account or Profile, you can monitor the status of your report in this link:

https://www.facebook.com/support/

All reports you submitted in the past are shown on that link when you are logged in to your FB account.

Since FB has several million users, their response or action to reports such as your can take time. Also, if you want to expedite the process, I suggest that you contact your friends and other people to submit the same report since the more reports a profile received, the faster it is brought to action by FB.

In my personal experience, I reported a page and it was taken down after 17 days only even though there were about hundreds of people who reported the same page.

I hope that helped.

Please remember to rate my service positively (3-5 stars/faces) if this helped. Tips are always highly appreciated!

If you need further assistance, please do not rate me negatively with 1 or 2 faces. Instead, please reply to me so that I can help you further.

Thank you!

Best regards,
Jess

The person in question wanted me to send him money to help him out
The profile has him living in the USA but he said to pay by Western Union ONLY (and I read Western Union is a scammers choice of payment)
I asked other people on this site and Quora,and they all agree that if the scammer is in Africa or somewhere overseas then it would be impossible for them to get their hands on a USA to USA money transfer as Western Union doesn’t allow tampering......and I know the real person would not be in cahoots with a scammer

I understand completely your scenario. The main reason why scammers hack accounts or make impostor FB accounts is for extortion. So please do not give in. And what you did (reporting to Facebook) was the best first step to stop this scammer.

But since FB has millions of users, they usually act on reports for some time, so please be patient. Please warn your other friends about this impostor account so that they will not send him money.

Reporting to FB is the only way to take down the impostor FB account though it can take some time for it to happen.

I hope that helped.

Thank you!

Best regards,
Jess

why did all these other people including 2 “experts” from the JUST ANSWER website agree that if the scammer was foreign then he would NOT be able to get a hold of a USA to USA money transfer

Thank you for writing back. I am not familiar with money transfers. I believe scammers use Western Union for money transfer because they can easily get money from their victims there.

But if the scammer is from another country outside USA, and then he ask the victim to send him money, I believe he will also disclose there where he is for the money transfer to be successful.

If he said to the victim to send him money and he give an address in the USA, it means he is in the USA and he will be able to get the victim's money.

But honestly, I am not sure of money transfer protocols.

I just had someone else look up the certain profile in question and it doesn't show up when they log in.....it only shows up when log into Facebook.....does this mean its a fake since I can see a profile on my device and someone else can't see it on their device?

No, that is NOT the basis for fake and original accounts. There are certain "privacy" settings in FB controls this. For example, you can set your own profile as private and NOT visible to the public. That means, when random people search for you, your profile will not show up.

You can also set your profile to be visible by your friends' friends. Therefore, if someone who is a friend of your FB friends search for you, your profile show up. That is the reason why profiles show up on one and not on the other.

Again, fake accounts are regular accounts because FB does not require proper identification when you create an account. The only problem with fake accounts are the people behind the account are not real -- or someone else -- thus an impostor.

And here are the only things that FB users (fake/impostor or not) are MANUALLY entering or providing on their profile or accounts:

1. Their personal information
  2. Pictures
  3. Comments
  4. Likes

Apart from those, what you see are FB-provided or provided by OTHER FB users.

I hope that helped.

Thank you!

Best regards,
Jess

Sorry for all the questions.....I'm just trying to understand things.As I said before, these pictures (in this order) show up on MY phone and MY computer but a different picture shows up when I had another friend log in on her phone. the pictures were in the same order but the second profile picture was different than on mine (guy looked exactly like the guy in the second picture and they were in the same exact order)Like I said, I'm still trying to understand if what I see is a impersonated profile

Thank you for writing back and I am very sorry for the late reply. Let me answer your questions.

The 2 profiles in the picture you attached are DIFFERENT profiles. That is, they are DIFFERENT Facebook accounts but they can be created and maintained by the SAME person. As to WHO is the person behind the facebook account, you CANNOT verify yourself. The only way of knowing exactly the person behind the account is when you PERSONALLY know the person.

As to why there are 2 accounts for the same person, that is common. People easily forgets passwords for their FB accounts especially if they only access the FB account using mobile phone and if they create an email for the sole purpose of creating the FB account. The said email address will NOT be regularly used as an email but as a LOGIN username so therefore, when the FB password ***** ***** and the email is required, it will be unavailable and the FB account is no longer recoverable. Thus, it will become an abandoned or orphaned FB account.

Also, impersonators create accounts too so they add to the number of FB accounts. As to HOW you know the account is fake or impersonated, you need to know the person personally or the person should inform you personally or by other means or contacts that he has no FB account and that any and all FB accounts of HIM are fake.

To answer your question as to why the profile pictures are different, it is because they are DIFFERENT FB accounts.

As to the order they appear, that is irrelevant since no one controls how they appear on other people's FB accounts. Facebook shows those profiles and only Facebook controls the order they appear.

As to why other people SEES different profiles or pictures on their device, again, that is controlled by Facebook. Maybe you and that OTHER person has a different set of friends and common friends thus Facebook "suggests" different profiles for that OTHER person.

Going back to fake accounts or impostor accounts, if you personally know that the FB account is fake or an impostor, the only thing you can do is report it. And if that person confirmed to you (by email or phone call) that he has NO FB account, then definitely the profile you reported is fake or impostor and reporting is enough for Facebook to take it down.

As to the contents of the Profiles and the profiles suggested by Facebook, original accounts or fake/impostor, those suggestions were made or created by Facebook alone. Facebook is a social network site so it has a very sophisticated criteria of linking and connecting people by several means like common interests, locations, birthplaces, cities, schools, companies. For instance, if you are a graduate of "Course ABC" at "XYZ University" on year 2000, FB can suggest people with FB accounts with common information like your such as those who are:

a) graduates of XYZ University

b) graduates of year 2000

c) graduates of Course ABC

My point is that, only VERY FEW of what you see on a Facebook Profile are manually created by the owner of the profile. Most of them are generated by FB. Only comments and tags and photos are owned by the profile owner to mention a few. The rest are put there or generated by FB.

I hope that helped.

Thank you!

Best regards,
Jess

One more question
I have tried several times to report the fake ( I think) profile as well as sending proof to the HQ ,and I have not seen anything in over 17 days

Thank you for writing back. Do you have an FB account? Did you report the fake account using FB's reporting tool?

If the answer to the 2 questions above are YES, then that will be all that you can do. The ball is now on Facebook to resolve your complaint/report.

But like what I already mentioned, it is better to report it with your FB account so that you can monitor the feedback from FB as to the results, if they confirm that the account is fake and take it down, or if the account is indeed legitimate.

But for now, all you can do is wait for FB to take down the fake account if it is indeed fake and it can take a while since FB is a very huge site with several millions of users and several millions of reports received on a daily basis.

Jess M., Computer Support Specialist
Thank you
I gave 5 stars

Hi Jeff,

Thank you for the positive rating. Thank you for using our service as well. If you need assistance in the future, you can request me any time.

Thank you,

Jess