Software

Ask Software Development Questions and Get Answers ASAP

I use access for my business which is on a home group of 10…

Customer Question
I use access for my...
I use access for my business which is on a home group of 10 computers. I keep the backend on one computer and have front ends on the other 9. I would like a System that would prevent all users from being able to access the computer with the backend. My problem is they need access to the back and in order for the front end to work.
Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Software
Answered in 1 day by:
3/13/2018
Software technician: syseng, Systems Engineer replied 5 months ago
syseng
syseng, Systems Engineer

My name is David.

Are all the computers running Windows 7?

What version of Access are you running?

Just to clarify, you need all the front end computers to have access to the backend database but not the computer on which the backend database is running, correct?

I am out of the office today because we are having a big snow storm here in Boston. I will get back to u tomorrow with all the info.

Ok, sounds good. I will be available tomorrow as well.

Customer
Hope all is well. To answer your questionsAre all computers running windows 7? No, some are running windows 10What version of Access are you running? We are running Access 2007-2016Just to clarify, you need all the front end computers to have access to the backend database but not the computer on which the backend database is running, correct? Correct

Ok, thanks.

So all the front end computers are accessing the database through a Windows shared directory correct?

we set it up so they are on the same homegroup and network

Ok then on the computer that has the backend Access database, click the Windows Start button then click the Search box and type

homegroup

in the search box and then click the HomeGroup item that appears in the search results.

Select "Change what you’re sharing with the Homegroup."

Disable everything you do not want to share with the Homegroup, and then select Next and then Finish.

Then test by connecting over the network from one of the frontend computers to the backend computer to determine what other items are still accessible that should not be accessible and let me know so I can provide instructions on configuring those specific items as well.

David,
Do you want to remotely connect to the computer and we can talk on the phone and I can show you exactly what I want to do

My apologies for the delay.

Yes, I am in the PDT time zone. What time would work best for you to start a remote session?

We are in EST so its 11am here. Would later afternoon work for you? Around 3pm

Yes, do you mean 3PM EST or PDT?

Sorry my meeting ran long. I can connect now

Hello - would you be available shortly to start the remote session?

It will have to be tomorrow at this point david

Ok - what time tomorrow?

Good Morning David. What time works for you today?

Will you be available for the remote session around 6PM PDT today?

Still here just in case you are ready.

Just checking to see if you still need assistance.