Software

Ask Software Development Questions and Get Answers ASAP

Toshiba p850, Windows 10. I am being charged for excess data…

Toshiba p850, Windows 10 ...

Toshiba p850, Windows 10

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been going on with your computer? What have you tried so far?

I am being charged for excess data because you (Microsoft) are continuallydownoading the Windows update and finding a problem, Iam unable to identify the issue,so youkeep downloading the whole update and now I have overrun my download limit by 12Gb. I cannot afford to go on like this pleae stop.

3/9/2018
syseng
syseng, Systems Engineer

My name is David.

Configure the wireless network connection to be a metered connection and the updates will stop downloading with the exception of critical security patches which are usually quite small. To configure your wireless network connection as metered select Start > Settings > Network & Internet > Wi-Fi > Manage known networks. Then for each Wi-Fi network listed, select the WiFi network connection, then select Properties and then turn on Set as metered connection.

Reboot and check Windows Updates Settings after the reboot by clicking the Windows Start button, then click the Search box and type

Windows Updates Settings

in the Search box and click the Windows Updates Settings icon that appears. In the window that displays you should see that updates are no longer downloading.

Please let me know the result.

Hi David,
thank you for your reply. I had aready set the internet to a metered connection, and it was still trying to download wintows 10 1709.
Now it says that an update is ready to download.The underlying issue is that when it tries to apply the update it experience a "problem". then it downloads the whole 2-3 Gb. It keeps going through this process. To the extent that it used an extre 12+Gb of data costing me at least $120.00 of extra data.
Why do I need to pay money to you when you are the cause of the problem???

You can disable the Windows Update service and enable it when you are ready to update.

To do this click the Windows Start button then click the Search box and type

services.msc

and press Enter.

Scroll down the list of services that appear and identify the Windows Update service. Right click on it and click Properties. In the Properties window click the drop down box and change it from Automatic to Disabled. Click the Stop button. Click Apply then OK.

When you are ready to apply updates reverse the procedure.

Please let me know if that works for you.

Hi David,
Thank you for your information. I have stopped the Windows Update.However, the basic problem is that the update install encounters errors, and I do not now how to identify or fix the problem. It comes up with different error codes each time. The update service has cost me in excess of $120.00 so far and I do not have sufficient funds to keep this up. Any help would be appreciated

Next click the Windows Start button then the Search box and type

cmd

in the Search box and right click the command line icon and click Run as Administrator.

On the command prompt type

sfc /scannow

and press Enter to run the command (which will take awhile). Once completed, reboot and check to see if the issue is resolved.

Thank you. I have got to the point where I can input the sfc command, but I was not able to find the "run as administrator". There was no where to set that in the search dialog box.
Also I am still getting the update dialog presenting itself. Further, why does windows continually download the same update when it could just use the already downloaded files?

The reason Windows keeps downloading is because the Windows Update database on the computer is corrupt.

Next, click on the link below to download the Windows 10 Windows Update Troubleshooter tool:

click here

Then if prompted to run the troubleshooter after download select to run it, or if not prompted, go to your downloads directory and double click on the file to start the troubleshooter tool. Follow the prompts to complete the scan and fix and then reboot and test to see if the issue is resolved.

Please let me know the result and if you have questions with any of the steps.

I downloaded and ran the troubleshooter but it never finished. I stopped it after 12 hours, Ithen had to reboot the system as I could not eve open the start menu. I also noticed that the cpu usage was at 99% when I went to task manager to stop the troubleshooter.
Are you still there???

Yes, my apologies for the delay.

The troubleshooter most likely got stuck waiting for an open process to close that never closed. Since you have rebooted that condition should be cleared so please try running the troubleshooter again.

Thank you.
I have re-run the troubleshooter, and it said that "A potential windows update database problem.. Not fixed"
Should I rerun the update? Or is there further measures to take to resolve the databse error?

cmd

On the command prompt type

DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

I have done what you asked, the update attempted again, but again with the :something went wrong" message.

Ok then I am going to open up this question to other experts that may have additional ideas.

Chris Baxter
Chris Baxter, Programmer
Hello! I hate to say it, but downloading is required. Start by scanning for virus and other weirdness.
Http://www.malwarebytes.org
Http://www.piriform.com/ccleaber
Get the two tools, they are free. Use malwarebytes to scan and clean, and restart as required. Then use ccleaner to clean temp files and fix the registry. Do them in that order, malwarebytes first. Then when all is done shut down and restart the computer, let me know how it goes! :)
Malware scan results
Malwarebytes
www.malwarebytes.com-Log Details-
Scan Date: 3/17/18
Scan Time: 7:02 PM
Log File: 845a5aae-29b9-11e8-beba-b888e31e1fe8.json
Administrator: Yes-Software Information-
Version: 3.4.4.2398
Components Version: 1.0.322
Update Package Version: 1.0.4390
License: Trial-System Information-
OS: Windows 10 (Build 15063.909)
CPU: x64
File System: NTFS
User: TOS3\BAK-Scan Summary-
Scan Type: Threat Scan
Result: Completed
Objects Scanned: 516183
Threats Detected: 42
Threats Quarantined: 0
(No malicious items detected)
Time Elapsed: 20 min, 11 sec-Scan Options-
Memory: Enabled
Startup: Enabled
Filesystem: Enabled
Archives: Enabled
Rootkits: Disabled
Heuristics: Enabled
PUP: Detect
PUM: Detect-Scan Details-
Process: 0
(No malicious items detected)Module: 0
(No malicious items detected)Registry Key: 5
Adware.Revizer.PrxySvrRST, HKLM\SYSTEM\CURRENTCONTROLSET\SERVICES\NLASVC\PARAMETERS\INTERNET\MANUALPROXIES, No Action By User, [8460], [-1],0.0.0
PUM.Optional.DisableChromeUpdates, HKLM\SOFTWARE\POLICIES\GOOGLE\UPDATE, No Action By User, [13269], [252393],1.0.4390
PUP.Optional.InstallCore, HKU\S-1-5-21-936131888-3077401860-2661587651-1002\SOFTWARE\InstallCore, No Action By User, [2], [239563],1.0.4390
Adware.Yontoo, HKLM\SOFTWARE\Tarma Installer, No Action By User, [137], [382206],1.0.4390
PUM.Optional.DisableChromeUpdates, HKLM\SOFTWARE\WOW6432NODE\POLICIES\GOOGLE\UPDATE, No Action By User, [13269], [252393],1.0.4390Registry Value: 9
Adware.Revizer.PrxySvrRST, HKU\S-1-5-18\SOFTWARE\MICROSOFT\WINDOWS\CURRENTVERSION\INTERNET SETTINGS|PROXYENABLE, No Action By User, [8460], [-1],0.0.0
Adware.Revizer.PrxySvrRST, HKU\S-1-5-21-936131888-3077401860-2661587651-1001\SOFTWARE\MICROSOFT\WINDOWS\CURRENTVERSION\INTERNET SETTINGS|PROXYENABLE, No Action By User, [8460], [-1],0.0.0
Adware.Revizer.PrxySvrRST, HKU\S-1-5-21-936131888-3077401860-2661587651-1002\SOFTWARE\MICROSOFT\WINDOWS\CURRENTVERSION\INTERNET SETTINGS|PROXYENABLE, No Action By User, [8460], [-1],0.0.0
Adware.Revizer.PrxySvrRST, HKU\S-1-5-21-936131888-3077401860-2661587651-1007\SOFTWARE\MICROSOFT\WINDOWS\CURRENTVERSION\INTERNET SETTINGS|PROXYENABLE, No Action By User, [8460], [-1],0.0.0
Adware.Revizer.PrxySvrRST, HKU\S-1-5-21-936131888-3077401860-2661587651-1008\SOFTWARE\MICROSOFT\WINDOWS\CURRENTVERSION\INTERNET SETTINGS|PROXYENABLE, No Action By User, [8460], [-1],0.0.0
Adware.Revizer.PrxySvrRST, HKU\S-1-5-21-936131888-3077401860-2661587651-1001\SOFTWARE\MICROSOFT\WINDOWS\CURRENTVERSION\INTERNET SETTINGS|PROXYSERVER, No Action By User, [8460], [-1],0.0.0
Adware.Revizer.PrxySvrRST, HKU\.DEFAULT\SOFTWARE\MICROSOFT\WINDOWS\CURRENTVERSION\INTERNET SETTINGS|PROXYENABLE, No Action By User, [8460], [-1],0.0.0
PUM.Optional.DisableChromeUpdates, HKLM\SOFTWARE\POLICIES\GOOGLE\UPDATE|DISABLEAUTOUPDATECHECKSCHECKBOXVALUE, No Action By User, [13269], [252393],1.0.4390
PUM.Optional.DisableChromeUpdates, HKLM\SOFTWARE\WOW6432NODE\POLICIES\GOOGLE\UPDATE|DISABLEAUTOUPDATECHECKSCHECKBOXVALUE, No Action By User, [13269], [252393],1.0.4390Registry Data: 0
(No malicious items detected)Data Stream: 0
(No malicious items detected)Folder: 4
PUP.Optional.OpenCandy, C:\Users\BAK\AppData\Roaming\OpenCandy\FF6D9FDFB6F74A47B8319B4AD0ACE013, No Action By User, [478], [173202],1.0.4390
PUP.Optional.OpenCandy, C:\USERS\BAK\APPDATA\ROAMING\OPENCANDY, No Action By User, [478], [173202],1.0.4390
PUP.Optional.GetDiscountApp, C:\PROGRAMDATA\GETDISCOUNTAPP, No Action By User, [10721], [177408],1.0.4390
PUP.Optional.MultiPlug, C:\PROGRAMDATA\52b6e5513d4dcaa3, No Action By User, [230], [240943],1.0.4390File: 24
PUP.Optional.OpenCandy, C:\Users\BAK\AppData\Roaming\OpenCandy\FF6D9FDFB6F74A47B8319B4AD0ACE013\WebCompanionInstaller.exe, No Action By User, [478], [173202],1.0.4390
PUP.Optional.MultiPlug, C:\PROGRAMDATA\52b6e5513d4dcaa3\{6C998B44-82D8-CC7E-D847-4CD73036412A}.20150203102802, No Action By User, [230], [240943],1.0.4390
PUP.Optional.MultiPlug, C:\ProgramData\52b6e5513d4dcaa3\659310361e8c6f3c6bd20998ae97ce80.ini, No Action By User, [230], [240943],1.0.4390
PUP.Optional.MultiPlug, C:\ProgramData\52b6e5513d4dcaa3\0f29801820a371146bd20998ae97ce80.ini, No Action By User, [230], [240943],1.0.4390
PUP.Optional.MultiPlug, C:\ProgramData\52b6e5513d4dcaa3\15a1758beb4d95da6bd20998ae97ce80.ini, No Action By User, [230], [240943],1.0.4390
PUP.Optional.MultiPlug, C:\ProgramData\52b6e5513d4dcaa3\198cdfe22d13c1ab6bd20998ae97ce80.ini, No Action By User, [230], [240943],1.0.4390
PUP.Optional.MultiPlug, C:\ProgramData\52b6e5513d4dcaa3\242c2fd4536773fa6bd20998ae97ce80.ini, No Action By User, [230], [240943],1.0.4390
PUP.Optional.MultiPlug, C:\ProgramData\52b6e5513d4dcaa3\3ed03cfb568002836bd20998ae97ce80.ini, No Action By User, [230], [240943],1.0.4390
PUP.Optional.MultiPlug, C:\ProgramData\52b6e5513d4dcaa3\5175a0130ed5b4496bd20998ae97ce80.ini, No Action By User, [230], [240943],1.0.4390
PUP.Optional.MultiPlug, C:\ProgramData\52b6e5513d4dcaa3\5563f418483f31116bd20998ae97c
DO I RUN THE CC file
Dear *****,
You have helped very much so far. Thank you.
I ran the two programs you suggested, and then tried the update again. It came up with the same "Something went wrong" but when I rebooted, it did instal some updates.Where do we go from here, please?
It installed a few updates, so restart again, and you can install peicemeal if auto update does noy resume downloading using the following:
https://www.windowscentral.com/how-download-and-install-windows-10-cumulative-updates-manually
run ccleaner, click registry tab, and fix those odd registry entries with "analyze and clean"
Chris Baxter
Chris Baxter, Programmer
Hi Chris,
I still have no success. I have looked at the downloads for ones that have failed install, and have downloaded some of them.
But the KB number for KB40564 is not known in the download Centre.
If you are still there Chris, I have downloaded the updates which have failed and run them, But they both say "..not applicable to your system". this does not apply to KB4056254, which is not in the download centre.
Not applicable could mean it is for a different system, there are multiple versions of windows out there. Does the computer run fine and stop installing at startup?
Hi Chris,I have had limited success. The update said that my computer was up to date, so I clicked the Check for updates button. It then downloaded the Fall update and proceeded to install. However something happened that caused the computer to turn off. I do not know if it was the power supply or the computer itself. It is now downloading the whole thing again. Why it should do that I do not know. Surely the datbase is already there as it was using it to install the update. Total frustration!
Would it help if I "bit the bullet" and gave you access to the machine?
Thanks for your help.