Software

Ask Software Development Questions and Get Answers ASAP

How do I know if I have been hacked. It's an hp pavilion I…

How do I know...

How do I know if I have been hacked

Technician's Assistant: What's the brand and model of your computer? And the Operating System (OS)?

It's an hp pavilion I don't know what operating system

Technician's Assistant: What Operating System (OS) are you running on your Pavilion?

Windows 10 ?

Technician's Assistant: What have you tried so far with your Pavilion? Have you installed any updates recently?

I just tried to install updates to my H & R block download. The update did not work. In opening the program all my files have disappeared

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Computer Expert to know before I connect you?

When I opened the program It said there were no returns in the folder and to click browse to find the file. clicked browse and nothing came up

3/8/2018
syseng
syseng, Systems Engineer

My name is David.

Files disappearing is often the result of file system corruption. To address the issue do the following:

Click the Windows Start button then the Search box and type

cmd

in the Search box then right click the command prompt icon and click Run as Administrator in the menu that appears.

On the command prompt type

chkdsk c: /f

and press Enter. Then when prompted to reboot and scan press the Y key and press Enter then reboot.

On reboot the computer will scan the storage drive for corruption and fix errors. On boot-up, after logging into Windows, check to see if the files are now visible and accessible.

Please let me know the result.

syseng
syseng, Systems Engineer
After following your directions and rebooting the system I received the following notice. A bitmap named
:c:\Program Files (x86)\hrblock2017\program\bmp256\palette.bmp could not be loaded. (seeWinDlbitmaplmp:: load)
The missing files did not reappear.
Cody
Cody, Senior Systems Administrator