Software

Ask Software Development Questions and Get Answers ASAP

I am back now. I was out at a conference. Recall that you…

Customer Question
I am back now. I...
I am back now. I was out at a conference. Recall that you were helping me before.Now I would like to have a frank conversation with you. You have spent a lot of time trying to fix my problem with the file manage and with the Windows updates. Neither of these problems are solved. The update process continues just as it had before - starting an update process without my consent and the file manager is worse than it was. Do you think that you can do anything different? Or should I ask for another person to help me? I would appreciate your honest answer. Thank you.
Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Software
3/8/2018
Software technician: syseng, Systems Engineer replied 1 month ago
syseng
syseng, Systems Engineer

Yes, good to hear from you.

I was not finished working on your computer. The file explorer/Windows search is the more complex of the two.

To control Windows Updates, turn off the Windows Update service. To do that click the Windows Start button then the Search box and type

services.msc

in the Search box and press Enter. In the Services utility that appears, scroll down to the Windows Updates service and right click on it and click Properties then click the drop down box and change it from Automatic to Disabled. Click Apply and OK. When you are ready to install updates just click the Start button in Properties.

Regarding the File Explorer/Windows Search issue, and components of the Windows Update service, there is one more procedure I was planning to run that may fix both that requires a download of the most recent Windows 10 installation image before running the command that should fix both.

If you are willing to try the last procedure, I would like to remote in and complete it.

Just let me know how you would like to proceed.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Okay. We can do that when I get time. Maybe later today or tonight.

Okay, sounds good.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Do you have time now to run your procedure?The download of the 'most recent Windows 10 installation image' - it that similar to reinstalling Windows?

Hello - I stepped away from the computer. Will you be available to perform the procedure tomorrow?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I am ready whenever you are!!!!!

Hello - yes I will be available for the remote session later this afternoon PDT. Please let me know if you have a time slot open later today as well.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
How about 4:50 pm PDT

I just made it back to my computer - just let me know if you are still available and if not are you available early tomorrow or late evening?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I think you are too busy to attend to my problem! I will try one more time today to hook up with you, but then I am going to go elsewhere.
Jess M., Computer Support Specialist