Software

Ask Software Development Questions and Get Answers ASAP

I purchases a used Lenovo thinkpad T400 with Windows7; It…

Customer Question
I purchases a used...

I purchases a used Lenovo thinkpad T400 with Windows7; It was working fine. I tried to download Windows 10 and the screen went black. Every time I turn it on, the screen is black, it sounds like it is turning on for about 2 seconds and then stops. I have tried removing the battery and putting it back in but no luck. The battery is new.

Technician's Assistant: Have you tried rebooting from a DVD or flash drive?

No, the computer didn't come with anything.

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Software
3/7/2018
Software technician: Dan, Computer Support Specialist replied 1 month ago
Dan, Computer Support Specialist

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer, I look forward to assisting you today. Try removing the battery and use just the AC power supply and let me know what happens please.

Please let me know if you require further assistance.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
The computer turns on now but the screen is still black.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I signed up for the $5 free trial for 7 days. Why do I have to pay another $39?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Hello?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
How are you going to connect to the computer if the screen is black?

Please disregard the Premium Service popup. That is auto-generated. The $5 is a down payment which will be included when you provide a positive rating for my service. I will not be paid until then.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Do you have an answer for me. Removing the battery and just using the AC adapter only made the computer turn on, but the screen is still black. Thank you!

Did anything flash on the screen when you first started it?

Power the laptop off then locate the Novo button as indicated in the attachment. You will need an unbent paper clip to press the button. Press this button until the laptop powers on and follow the on screen instructions.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
My computer does not look like this. There is no Novo button next to the AC adapter. There are only copper bars.

Depending on your exact model, it can be on either side.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
No, I want you to show me how to push the novo button on my computer, the Lenovo Thinkpad T400

When you locate the button, power off the laptop then use the Novo button to power it on. Press the button and hold it until the laptop powers up then follow the on screen instructions to restore it.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I don't see anything that looks like a Novo button though.

Send me your exact model number and I will see if I can locate it for you.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Lenovo ThinkPad T400 product id: 741722U

Okay try this. Restart your laptop and as soon as it begins to start begin tapping the F11 key about once a second. That should open a Rescue and Recovery menu. From there you should be able to select factory restore.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok, thank you! I will try this. Another question about another computer I bought. I have a hp 6730s and the screen is dull. I tried the brightness buttons on the computer but they don't do anything.

The back light or converter board is most likely failing. It wont be long before you won't have any display at all.

Dan, Computer Support Specialist