Software

Ask Software Development Questions and Get Answers ASAP

I have a filemaker question. I need to move a filmmaker

I have a filemaker question...
I have a filemaker question. I need to move a filmmaker program from one computer to another and am having trouble as it doesn't ask for a password ***** computer 1 but when I move it does on computer 2.
2/23/2018
syseng
syseng, Systems Engineer

My name is David.

What is the name of the operating system on both computers (such as Windows 10, 8 or 7)?

Also, what is the exact name of the program (you mention it being a filemaker and filmmaker program)?

I am on a Macbook pro - macOS High Sierra v10.13.3. The filmmaker program is filmmaker pro 13

Thank you for the clarification.

Filemaker Pro 13 supports a local license, so to transfer the program to the new computer all you should have to do is backup your files, uninstall the program, then install the program using the same license key onto your new computer.

Since you are being prompted for a password ***** installing I suspect that your account on the new computer does not have permissions to install programs or run programs installed by a different user account. If Filemaker was installed under a different user account, then next do the following:

Choose the Apple menu > System Preferences, then click Users & Groups.

Click the lock icon to unlock it, then enter an administrator name and password.

Click on your account and change it to an administrator account then save the setting.

Then try running the Filemaker program again.

The account I installed the program with on computer 1 is an admin account. The account I am trying to open on computer 2 is an admin account.

Ok then on computer 1 click the File menu then File Options and see if auto-login is enabled. If it is but it not enabled on computer 2 then that could be the cause of the issue.

Another similar possibility is if you moved the database and contents to computer 2 and change the database name in the process.

Please check and let me know if either of those situations apply.

I have figured out he problem. Filemaker was using keychain to keep the password. I simply found it on computer 1, and entered it in computer 2! fixed. Thanks for your help.

Very good and makes a lot of sense. Glad the issue is resolved!

syseng
syseng, Systems Engineer