Software

Ask Software Development Questions and Get Answers ASAP

My webcam "Logitech HD Pro Webcam C920" does not work in…

My webcam "Logitech HD Pro...
My webcam "Logitech HD Pro Webcam C920" does not work in "XSplit Broadcaster" software. I use Windows 10 desktop computer. This webcam when tested with "Logitech Webcam software," works fine. Could you determine the problem to fix it?
Link: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-hardware-winpc/logitech-c920-webcam-only-working-with-microsoft/ebcafd6e-c74c-4dd5-8295-5b27a090cac3?auth=1
"That is until i upgraded to Windows 10. Since then i'm finding myself experiencing a very strange problem. It seems that my webcam will only work with microsoft products. For example, it works great with, Internet Explorer, Edge, Skype and the built in Camera app. But, it won't work at all with programs like, Google Chrome, Nvidia Shadowplay, Open Broadcaster Software (OBS) or Xsplit... Not even Logitech's own webcam software.All these progams can detect the camera, but i won't get a picture. It's just black, and the light on the camera doesn't even turn on. It's almost like the camera is busy somewhere. Kind of like Microsoft is holding it hostage. I have never experienced anything like this before, and after some google research it seems i might very well be alone with this problem. I have tried reinstalling the drivers, and have the latest Windows 10 drivers and i have run windows update, but it still doesn't work."
2/19/2018
Richard, Software Specialist

Thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you.

When you say you upgraded to windows 10, from which version of windows did you upgrade from?

Please let me know

From Windows 7 to Windows 10 a long time ago. "XSplit Broadcaster" installed a few days ago.

Thanks

In XSplit right-click your web camera, choose “Configure” and click “Video Input”.

On the driver window, in the first tab: Disable “Auto-focus”. You will have to do some manual adjustment after. Make sure you adjust while seated in the position you intend to stream from.

On the second tab: Disable “RightLight”, “Gain” and “White Balance”.

Click Save.

Tell me if it then works please

62;In XSplit right-click your web camera, choose “Configure” and click “Video Input”.
I did it just now and many times before after reading an article in Google. It shows a black rectangle which has no photo in it. Apparently, it detects the camera but does not show any photo.
>On the driver window, in the first tab:
Where to find the driver window?

ok, once the steps are done, try to use the camera please

Connect it to a different USB port, does this then help?

62;Connect it to a different USB port, does this then help?
I just changed but the same problem persists. Sound is being transmitted right now in the live broadcast but no photo from the Webcam.

Ok, it is Chrome you use correct?

For the browser

this is Chrome I am using. Want me to use Firefox?

yes to see if thats the issue please

it automatically selects Chrome

yes, but open the stream up in Firefox please

62;es, but open the stream up in Firefox please
How to do it?

Go to the youtube site you stream to, but in Firefox instead of Chrome

62;Go to the youtube site you stream to, but in Firefox instead of Chrome
I just did the above. On Firefox also, the same problem! No images.

Can you give me the address here please

Using Teamviewer, you may if you like connect to my computer (no additional offer).
https://www.youtube.com/live_dashboard

It is an additional cost to connect.

Can you try the cam on another computer

Tell me if that works on it please

I will try this webcam on another computer later and then I will let you know.
I will have to install the Xsplit Broadcaster on another computer also.

yes please do so

OK thanks. I will do it later and then let you know.

Thank you

It works fine in another computer!

Was the other computer also windows 10?

both are Windows 10. Only difference is, the good one has a freshly installed Windows 10 on a new hard disk whereas the bad one was upgraded to windows 10.

ok, we need to reinstall windows on the bad, it wont touch your files but all programs you need to install again

It is though always best to backup data first

Then go to start, settings, update and security, recovery

Then choose get started under reset my pc

Once done, choose to keep your files then allow it to reset and reinstall

Once done, install the software and it should then work

Let me know please how you go

62; it wont touch your files but all programs you need to install again
All programs again? There are many. Everything else is working well on this "bad" Windows 10 computer.

yes sorry, all programs need to be installed again

62;all programs need to be installed again
No; all other programs are working well.
There was "AlterCam" before on this "bad" computer. Should uninstall "AlterCam" ?

If it was on when it was working before it does not point to the issue but you can uninstall it

I just uninstalled AlterCam but still the same problem persists.

yes, this is why you need to do the full reinstall

62; this is why you need to do the full reinstall
The problem is just on this one item.

Sorry I do not understand your response...

We have done all repair options, you now need to do the reinstall

Reinstall involves installing all programs again.Since all other programs are working fine, there might be a way to fix this webcam issue.

We have reinstall the camera, the program, repaired windows, confirmed correct settings.

This is not related to other programs running correctly, we need to do a clean install again, the upgrade corrupted system files needed for this and we need to replace via a reinstall.

I understand what you wrote. Let me think if there is a non-destructive method of reinstall/repair Windows 10. For example, System File Checker command /sfc to scan for problems. One link: https://www.easeus.com/todo-backup-resource/reinstall-windows-10-without-losing-data.html

Ok, that is for data corruption, but please feel to do this and let me know how you go

Steps to do this are as follows

than do the following please

Click start, type in CMD and right click on command prompt and select run as administrator

A black window will open.

Type in it

sfc /scannow

press enter and when it has completed, type in

chkdsk /r

Press enter.

It will give a message "the type of the file system is NTFS cannot lock current drive.
chkdsk cannot run because the volume is in use by another process. Would you like to schedule this volume to be checked the next time the system restarts y/n" Say Y, press enter and restart the computer.

Please note, while this normally only takes 10 minutes to run, it can take at times number of hours if windows encounters many issues. If this is occurring it is critical to let this complete as it means you have corruption on the hard drive that it needs to fix. Even if it looks like the scan is not progressing, it is, please just let it run to completion. Windows will then start when it has.

Then try it please

It might prompt for an original CD of Windows 10.

No, only XP did that when running the commands I just gave.

How about purchasing a new 1 TB 3.5" internal hard disk (Seagate Firecuda - 5x faster than standard HDD) and then doing a fresh install of Windows 10 pro on it using a flash drive? On this Windows 10 Home computer, I currently have C drive (SSD disk 480 GB Sandisk) and D drive hard disk Seagate 1 TB.

Do you have a windows 10 installation disk or image?

I cannot use Windows 10 pro on this Windows 10 Home computer.
I have a flash drive containing Windows 10.

If you have a windows install image then you can install from it

Please clarify "If you have a windows install image" -- any link to download it?

No.. windows is not free. if I gave you it it would be illegal.

You need to purchase it or do the reinstall as I indicated.

62;windows is not free
No question of free because the same product key that I currently have will be automatically activated by using the Windows*****I already have.
I can use my Windows*****to clean install Windows 10 on a new hard disk in this desktop computer.

ok, then do that please.

Richard, Software Specialist
I can give you good rating now. Then I will go and purcase a new hard disk.
I am sure my Windows*****will work as I have successfully done it before.

Thank you

Success! Webcam is now working on my "bad" computer (Windows 10 Home). This is what I did: I started "msconfig" using Windows + R keys and then selected "Services" tab in which I checked "Hide all Microsoft services" and clicked on "Disable All". Then I rebooted the computer. As I loaded the XSplit Broadcaster software, it immediately showed up my photo, coming through the Webcam.
I did not upgrade to Windows 10 Pro yet. Do I really need Windows 10 Pro?
Any tool/software to automatically enable each service that is not in conflict with Webcam and which should be running?

The additions in pro is

- Domain Join Services
- BitLocker Drive Encryption
- Remote Access Services
- Group Policy editor
- Windows Update for Business

So only if you need this, mainly the bitlocker?

I do not know what you had installed, but something there is interfering, it is also not best to leave it all disabled, as it can cause issue with other programs. You would needto locate which one in the list is causing the issue

n Windows 10 Home, Which Services are safe to disable and which MUST be enabled? I found one link below but you might find a software that does it automatically after doing its analysis.http://technogeek.review/stop-unnecessary-services-windows-10/
34;it’s really hectic work for you to choose single services and disable one-by-one. To improve performance of your Windows 10 PC, navigate to http://www.sordum.org and download Easy Service Optimizer toolAfter unzipping, run the program. Easy Service Optimizer will detect your operating system, and show the appropriate Windows services list."
Link: https://technicalustad.com/windows-10-services-to-disable-to-improve-performance/