Software

Ask Software Development Questions and Get Answers ASAP

The "all apps" list disappeared from my start menu some time…

The "all apps" list...

The "all apps" list disappeared from my start menu some time ago. When I go into settings/personalization/start, the "show app list" option does not even appear. How can I get the app list to display in the start menu again?

Technician's Assistant: Which software or app can I help with?

Windows 10

Technician's Assistant: What have you tried so far with your software?

I am trying to get the app list to display in the start menu. The option has disappeared from the options in settings/personalization/start.

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Software Expert to know before I connect you?

Nope. That's it.

Answered in 1 hour by:
1/21/2018
Sheri
Sheri, Expert

Hi JACUSTOMER-ku5ujkzi,

Thanks for using JustAnswer. I am happy to assist you with this issue.

Most PC users often use the All apps (previously known as All programs) button in the Start menu to quickly view installed programs and apps. As you likely know, the “All programs” option has been renamed as “All apps” in Windows 10 and appears at the left bottom of the Start menu when you open the Start menu.

The “All apps” button no longer appears in Windows 10 Anniversary Update (version 1607) build 14393 (check your Windows 10 build number) and above builds. This is because, Microsoft has updated the Start menu to improve efficiency and discoverability of finding apps.

In 14393 and above builds of Windows 10, Microsoft has merged the Most used apps list All apps list into a single view. So, when you open the Start menu either by clicking the Start button or Windows logo key on the keyboard, the Start menu now displays up to six recently used apps at the top left of the Start menu and then shows all installed apps and programs.

If there is a recently installed program or app, the Recently added list appears just below the Most used list. The Recently added list now shows up to three recently installed programs and apps but you can click the Expand button to view all recently installed programs and apps.

The other advantage of this updated Start menu is that you don’t need to click the “All apps” button in order to view all installed apps. After opening the Start menu, simply scroll down the list to view all installed apps and programs.

In short, if you can’t see “All apps” button in the Start menu, nothing to worry about. The button is not part of the updated Start menu and all other features and options of Start menu will continue to work without any issues. As of now, there is no workaround out there to get back or restore the All apps button in the Start menu of build 14393 and above.

I hope that helps to clear it up.

Regards,
Sheri-Expert

Sheri
Sheri, Expert
Well, that does explain the mystery. However, I do not seem to have that "Expand" button. All I have are the six most recently used. If you can tell me how I can expand the list (in this case, to find a removal tool that is rarely used), I'll be in business.

Hi, I see you accepted the system generated remote support offer. I just want to make sure you intended this and want remote support or if it was done in error. I would be happy to connect in and work on the problem. Reply and let me know and i can send you connection information. Otherwise, we can continue via messaging. Let me know so we can go to the next step.
Regards,
Sheri-Expert

it was on purpose. Go ahead - I'm looking forward to watching.

Ok, give me a moment and I will send you the connection link.

Please click the below link to join the remote session. There will be a chat box within the session that we can communicate in. Once you click the link, watch the download of Elsinore ScreenConnect and run it once downloaded.
Link:
http://www.justanswer.com/remotedesktop/join.aspx?Session=4b4772de-a02f-48e4-b947-219da23c21c5
Regards,
Sheri-Expert

Back again. The scan appears to be complete, with no violations found.

ok, restart the computer and then see if anything changed in the start menu. it probably did not. then we can go to the next optiion

OK, we're up and running again.

ok, any change to start menu?

No, no change, just as expected.

Ok, the next step would be to reset the pc. This will put windows 10 back to a fresh install, keep your files, but you will actually have to reinstall some programs. This would get rid of the McAfee issue, too. You would have to reinstall any programs, including Norton, Office, etc. So you would need to make sure you have your product keys for an programs

Or, we can try system restore and just restore the pc to an earlier date, if the start menu was previously ok

I have to step away for approx. 10-15 mins and will check for your reply when I turn.

OK, let's try the system restore. I do have product keys, but I'd like to avoid all that work. Also, if this zaps my Norton anti-virus, I'd be vulnerable until I get it back up and running. I'll make a few backups while you are out.

ok, I am back and ready when you are.

All set.

ok, I will try connecting to the same session.

Sorry for the long delay, Sheri. I've had to deal with three grandsons, all under age 4. I love them, but it's been a zoo in here today.
Anyway, I tried several recent dates for a system restore, all of which failed. Then, late last night, I used a removal tool (from a JustAnswer web site) to get rid of the "McAfee Personal Firewall 6" app on this computer. It worked! I then tried to download and install the latest Windows 10 update. It was a rather massive download, and it took two attempts, but it updated successfully.
I still can't get the full app list to appear on the start menu, but now I am happy. I only wanted that list to be able to get rid of the McAfee app and get on with the Windows update. Thank you very much for all your help.

Hi, thanks for the update! Enjoy those grandsons!!!!! That is great news. I am glad it's all resolved. Have a good night.

Regards,

Sheri-Expert