Software

Ask Software Development Questions and Get Answers ASAP

PSE 15, Windows 10, can't access photos in "open in camera…

Customer Question
PSE 15, Windows 10...

PSE 15, Windows 10, can't access photos in "open in camera raw"...instead I get a window showing all photo folders in PC,rather than the list of folders that I already have in PSE 15

Technician's Assistant: Who makes your camera?

Several...trying to edit jpegs in raw

Technician's Assistant: What have you tried so far with your camera?

I don't have a problem with the cameras...I have already downloaded pix into PSE and can access the jpegs for regualr edit...can no longer open them in camera raw which I have previously been able to

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Software
1/20/2018
Software technician: Russell H., Computer Support Specialist replied 6 months ago
Russell H., Computer Support Specialist

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is***** will do my best to provide the right answer to your computer question.
The indexing to the PSE folders may have been lost unfortunately, owing to a glitch. You might have to select new folders, if not in PSE, then in the Open In Camera RAW function. Such indexes can sometimes get lost.

Can you still open in Camera RAW, once you have gone into a folder, and selected a file?

Go to Help, then go to About Plug-Ins, and look for Camera Raw - if not listed, it needs reinstalling.

If listed, then go into Supported Cameras, and see whether your camera is supported. (If not, the plug-in needs updating.)

For plug-in or update to the plug-in, see this page:

http://supportdownloads.adobe.com/detail.jsp?ftpID=5271

which also lists the supported cameras as well, for Camera Raw plug-in version 6.5.

If this answers your question, please rate my answer. A five-star rating would be appreciated!

If you need more info, or have any comments, use Reply To Expert to respond.

Thanks.

Let me restate the issue: I can edit Raw files in Camera Raw, but I cannot open a jpeg in Camera Raw, which Scott Kelby's book says one can and is recommended for general editing. Is there some setting or preference blocking me?
I also did an uninstall and reinstall of PSE 15 and checked for updates..

Opening a JPEG in camera raw mode... is kind of pointless. You should open the RAW file equivalent. With the camera in a certain mode, it can take a picture then store both a JPEG and a RAW file. Are you sure that you were not referred to this? that to 'edit the JPEG' in raw mode, you select the RAW file for that JPEG, in such a case?

JPEG files are emphatically NOT raw files... you cannot open them with a Raw file plug-in or Raw file opener. Having uninstalled an reinstalled PSE 15 and still found it that way, confirms this.

What were the exact words in the passage from Scott Kelby's book? if you can quote it word for word to me, I will check whether that is actually possible, or whether you might have misunderstood in some other way - interpret it for you, in short - etc.

34;Although Adobe Camera Raw was created to process photos taken in your caemra's RAW format. it's not just for RAW photos, because you can process your JPEG, TIFF and PSD photos, as well." (P.48)
I know the difference between JPEG and RAW and that the Adobe Camera Raw post-processing gives much greater control than the basic 'Quick' method. I have shot in the dual mode but was looking to simplify PP when shooting in JPEG only. If you think this is 'pointless,' then we can drop this whole thing.

I regret not doing a good enough job, it seems, in your opinion. I have Opted Out, opening the case to other Experts at no extra charge to you. When another Expert takes up the case, you ought to receive a notification email. Thank you for your patience, meanwhile.