Software

Ask Software Development Questions and Get Answers ASAP

I got a call from a Company called Map Support, and they…

I got a call from...
I got a call from a Company called Map Support, and they wanted me to go into my Google Business Listing and verify some data. I asked the person's name and she gave it to me. I then asked if they were part of Google and she said something like they were a qualified third party. Her last name was Smith, which did not inspire confidence. They asked me to confirm main number for my business, which I did. I told her I had recenlty updated my google lisitng, and she said maybe that was what triggered call. I then asked if there was a service they were going to offer to sell me later in conversation, and we disconnected. We also disconnected once earlier in conversation. My guess is this is a company that wants to sell me the service of them doing my Google Business Page or will sell me some sort of service, and really has nothing to do with Google. And she saw I was not fooled. Curious if you anything about this. I think I get at least one call daily on my google listing.
Answered in 1 hour by:
1/18/2018
Chris L., Support Specialist

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you.

This is absolutely a scam, it is very well known and we see this type of tech support scam often. Have a look at this article on the official google website about this:

https://support.google.com/business/answer/6212928?hl=en

Basically the scammer will try and trick you into paying money to have your business listed. Google will never call you with a request like this. Most of these calls originate from countries like India so they are hard to stop and there are many phone scams happening all the time. You did the right thing by being suspicious. If they do call back just hang up.
My goal is to give you the best experience possible! I hope I have earned a 5 star rating for providing you a quick answer! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need more assistance, please use the reply box and let me know.

Thank you.That is what I thought. I was surprised because the person talking to me spoke very good American English. Is there an easy simple way to get them to stop calling. I get a daily robocall on my business landline.

I am surprised they spoke good English, that is a new one. Really all I know that you can do is to never press a button when you receive these calls as that will lead to more calls. Also you can go here http://www.donotcall.gov/ if you have not yet and that may help as well.

Chris L., Support Specialist