Software

Ask Software Development Questions and Get Answers ASAP

Request: Given a URL for a currently live site (ex. -

Customer Question
http:\\www.origin.abc.com\abc.html), I want to crawl...
Request: Given a URL for a currently live site (ex. - http:\\www.origin.abc.com\abc.html), I want to crawl the entire site and download it to my local hard drive (html, images, etc.). This is typically relatively simple - as you know there are many tools to do this. The twist here is that all the links on teh live site are broken, and need to be adjusted for the site to be crawl-able. The adjustment is a very specific and simple one: ".origin" must go before the domain name. So in the above example, the site links all go to something like ex. - http:\\www.abc.com\xyz.html - which will always be broken. They will need a .origin added to work/for site to be automatically crawl-able - i.e. the above link would need to be turned into http:\\www.origin.abc.com\xyz.html.
Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Software
Example: https://www.origin.motorcraft.com/ar/sau/ is a web site I need to download. It's a relatively simple, content only page (save for dealer locator, which I don't need to download). But notice all the links on the page go to https://www.motorcraft.com - so a crawler will break unless it adds .origin before motorcraft.com for each link it attempts to crawl. So https://www.motorcraft.com would need to become https://www.origin.motorcraft.com.
Are you there? This is urgent and it's been about 1.5hrs. I have to get this going very soon.
Answered in 1 day by:
1/2/2018
Software technician: Evan Davis,
 replied 6 months ago
Evan Davis

If i'm understanding the question correctly, you need to change the links on a site to be prefixed with .origin?

Or is it that you are trying to get a crawler to prefix it?

One temp fix for this that may "Trick" the crawler into thinking it's looking in the right place is to add the URL's to the host file that point to the resolved URL.

For example, if the crawler is looking for origin.motorcraft.com you could setup host file entry for the following:

origin.motorcraft.com motorcraft.com

Let me know if i'm understanding correctly

Thanks much!

Thanks, ***** ***** the issue is it would need to be more like a wildcard replacement: Anytime you are crawling a page with a link to *w.motorcraft.*, instead go to $1w.origin.motorcraft.$2
Software technician: Evan Davis,
 replied 6 months ago

Thanks for the additional info, I think i'm with you but it may be beyond the scope of my expertise. It sounds more like a change in the method of crawling or the crawling application that is to be used. I'm going to put this back in the queue for another expert to pick up and assist.