Software

Ask Software Development Questions and Get Answers ASAP

I have windows 10. I am trying to attach some files to

Customer Question
I have windows 10...

I have windows 10. I am trying to attach some files to emails. each time, the attached file is not the one I attached, even though it is named correctly. It also ends in .docx instead of .doc. The path names at top of screen all look correct. Is that x the problem? HOw do I get back my .docs?

Technician's Assistant: How large is the .DOCX file you're trying to attach?

Something like 752. not big

Technician's Assistant: Are you getting any error messages when you try to attach your .DOCX file or send an email?

No

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Email Expert to know before I connect you?

I also tried to copy my file into the body of the email. Paste wouldn't work.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Software
12/20/2017
Software technician: syseng, Systems Engineer replied 4 months ago
syseng
syseng, Systems Engineer

My name is David.

Do you still need assistance?

I had to go to work this morning. Had no idea there was a long wait when I started the process.
Can you help me with this issue?

Yes, so first what is the name of the email program you use? Or are you using webmail?

I'm using gmail
I have noticed that several of my doc files are now docx. I always work in word, so don't know how they changed.
are you still there??

The file format drop down option in Word is easy to accidentally click when saving files so they may have been inadvertently saved as .doc files. However, by opening the file and selecting Save As from the menu, you can select the file format drop down in the Save As window and select .docx to save it again as a docx file.

Since you are using Gmail, what web browser are you using?

But I want them all as doc file. I thought it was the docx that was perhaps causing all the trouble! Yes? NO? I'll try your suggestion to get back to doc.
I just tried File, Save As and got no drop box to choose the file ending. Only, save to this PC or some other locations.
Im using google chrome

In the Save As window that opens, click the drop down box below the field where you enter the file name and it will give you a list of file format options including .doc and .docx. Select the .doc format and then save the file and file will be available in the .doc format.

Regarding Chrome, clear the browser cache and then restart Chrome and test to see if you can attach files to email. To clear the cache please perform the procedure at the link below:

click here

Let me know if you have questions with any of the steps.

I don't get it. When I open the file, then select File on the left, a blue band appears on the left of the screen, I choose Save As, and it opens up into my choice of locations only. There is no drop box "below the field where I enter the name" because I'm already in the file. You said to open the file first, and then Save As. What am I missing here?

I will provide you with a screenshot that will help clarify.

What version of Microsoft Word are you using?

I just cleared my cache. I'm using Office 2016.

Ok, then in Word click File, Save As then click Browse (located at the bottom of the list below Save As) then in the Save As window that opens, below the file name there is the Save as Type drop down box - click that and select .doc to save the file as a .doc file, and then browse to the location where you want to save the file and click the Save button.

Also, now that the Cache has been cleared in Chrome, close then reopen Chrome and then try again to attach a file to an email.

Please let me know the result.

I found where you were talking about in the save as, and resaved my document as a Word Document (which was already the selection), but I did it anyway. I reopened Chrome, and attached my file to a new email. It attached again as a docx. And when I opened the attached file, though it was not the right document, it was at least the proper folder. We're making headway! What now??

Browse to the location where the files are saved and check to see if there are two of each file where this problem has occurred. If there are two of each file then press the ALT key and a menu should appear in the explorer window, then click Tools, Folder Options, View and clear the check box beside the Hide File Extensions option and click OK. Then you should be able to see the file extensions on all the files. If two files have the same name but one is .doc and the other is .docx, open both files and determine which is the most recent then delete one and save the other. Then try attaching files again and it should attach in the correct format.

I am not seeing two of each file- except when I have redone the file with a different name to see if it would attach-. But I tried pressing ALT anyway, and nothing happens.
Is that an additional 39 to the 31 already paid?
Is it odd-meaning troublesome, that some of my word files are now docx?

Sorry for the delay.

Just to clarify, how many files are now docx files?

Also, try attaching a .doc file to an email that only has .doc files in the location where you store the files and let me know the result.

I just found how to show my file extensions, and I see the majority of files have docx extensions in this one folder I am looking at. As if maybe all my recent documents since getting Windows 8 and then 10, are docx! On a brief look, it appears that my old files are the docs. ANd I tried attaching one that is definitely a doc, and it did the same thing. When I opened up the attachment, it was not the document-although the attachment is labeled as the document, but the entire folder where the document lives. That is what has been going on for 2 ddays.

Ok, thanks for the additional information.

Next, click the Windows Start button, then click the Search box and type

cmd

in the Search box and then right click on the command terminal icon that appears and click Run as Administrator. In the command terminal type

chkdsk c: /f /r

and press Enter. Press Y and then press Enter when prompted, then reboot the computer, less chkdsk run and fix errors on the disk, then after boot up try attaching a file to an email again and let me know the result.

Yikes- so should the command terminal be a black screen like the old dos? and I would be typing at the end of a typed in line already there?
chkdsk cannot run because the volume is in use by another process. Would you like to schedule a ......
now what?

See the screenshot I provided - once that "volume in use" message appears, press the Y key then press Enter then reboot and the chkdsk scan will run.

I foñlowed your advice. I restarted and scanning and repairing drive (C:) ran, but never got beyond 10% complete- after more than an hour! I shut down for 10 secs, turned on again,an d again it stopped at 10%. What now??

Scans can take a long time when there is an extensive amount of corruption. Try running the scan again only this time using the following command:

chkdsk c: /f

and then let it scan overnight and the scan should be completed in the morning so you can test it then.

Do you still need assistance?

Sorry. Computer never scanned beyond 10%, just locked up so I never got to try your last suggestion. I took it in to a technician. Still not resolved.

Did you let the scan run all night?

It ran al night. Thanks for your help. Goodbye.

Thanks for letting me know. There are other procedures I can provide that may resolve the issue if you still need assistance.

syseng
syseng
syseng, Systems Engineer