Software

Ask Software Development Questions and Get Answers ASAP

I was stuck in the blue screen loop of autorepair, Windows…

Customer Question
I was stuck in...

I was stuck in the blue screen loop of autorepair, Windows 10. With some diagnostics I still can’t log on but have the error message: your pc device needs repair. The operations System couldn’t be loaded because a critical system driver is missing or contains errors. \\Windows\System32\drivers\partmgr.sys

Technician's Assistant: What's the brand and model of your computer?

HP Pavillion h8-1240

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Computer Expert to know before I connect you?

Don’t think so. Thanks.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Software
12/8/2017
Software technician: Specialist Sean S., Computer Support Specialist replied 7 months ago
Specialist Sean S.
Specialist Sean S., Computer Support Specialist

Good morning/afternoon! My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you today!

The first thing I'd like to try is to reload from the recovery partition. Do you know how to force this from the start?

Good morning. I do not.
I hit F10 and I'm in HP setup utility now. Holding until I hear from you.

Okay. What is listed in the HP SETUP UTILITY. Let me know and we'll go from there

File, storage, security, power, advanced

Okay. What's in ADVANCED

Under advanced it shows power on options, BIOS power on, bus options, device options

Okay, I think this was the wrong screen. Can you restart and start pressing F11 repeatedly to see if that gets you to the recovery options

I’m in recovery screen. I tried a few things here yesterday but no luck. What should I Try?

What's listed and I'll go step by step again

The left side of the screen shows I need help immediately with the choices Microsoft system restore, Microsoft start up repair tool, system recovery. The right side of the screen says I’d like to take precautions with one choice of file back up program.

Okay. Is there anything on your computer you can't afford to lose or replace? Or is it safe to reload the software from the factory setup?

I think some photos and all our music has not been backed up externally.
I prefer not to go back to factory

Okay, then choose the startup repair tool and run it. Let me know the results

It says to use the Microsoft start up repair tool you must exit recovery manager
I hit next, running....It says start up repair cannot repair this computer automatically

Okay. Can you try to go back in and choose SYSTEM RECOVERY then please

System recovery is going to take it to the original factory state everything will be lost, I have the option to back up files so I’m going to try that

Okay, yes, there's a few options for you to get the files off of it, but the only option to get the computer operational again would be to the go back to the factory state. Let me know if you need any assistance moving the files or re-adding them and I'll be happy to help

Also, please take a moment to rate my service using the stars below you disconnect today too. Thanks!

It’s still scanning. If I recall my only option is burning to a DVD and it kicked me out because of the size. Do you know of a way that I can back up to an external hard drive?

Yes, but you'll need to remove the hard drive and use this USB tool that turns it into a USB drive. You can get this at most stores pretty cheaply. Would you like me to post a link of an example?

Please

SATA to USB tool ---> CLICK HERE

It's pretty much plug and play. No setup required. It will let you connect your hard drive as a USB drive and transfer things over as you could with a USB jump drive

Let me know if that answers your questions or if you have anymore and I'll be happy to help.

Also, please take a moment to rate my service using the stars below when we're finished. Thanks!

Bought the adapter. Tried a backup with it installed and it is not reading the drive. The DVD drive is no longer available as a backup option. In fact I have no option. I tried attaching it to an Iomega external drive and a passport external drive

So, just to make sure, did you take the hard drive out of the problem computer, use the adapter and connect it via USB to a working computer? If so, is the drive making noises and did any notifications or sounds come up when you plugged in the USB adapter to the working computer