Software

Ask Software Development Questions and Get Answers ASAP

I can no longer start windows, I get a message saying there…

Customer Question
I can no longer...

I can no longer start windows

Technician's Assistant: What exactly is frozen or not starting up for you?

I get a message saying there is a problem and it needs to restart. So it starts again and tries to "repair"; then says: could not repair and suggests a few possibilities to solve the problem. But nothing works and the problem is still there !!!

Technician's Assistant: What's the brand and model of your computer? And the version of Windows?

ASUS K551L with windows 10

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been going on with your computer? What have you tried so far?

Occurred 2 days ago. I tried restarting, re-initializing, using a point of restoration, getting back to a previous version... Nothing works, windows always encounters a "problem" and remains stuck on the same blue screen; the only thing that works is "quit" !

Technician's Assistant: Which software or app can I help with?

What do you mean?

Technician's Assistant: What have you tried so far with your software?

I've just told you

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Software Expert to know before I connect you?

Only that I've got both HDD, and flash memory (if that may be useful), and a dual boot allowing to select either windows or linux

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Software
12/5/2017
Software technician: syseng, Systems Engineer replied 7 months ago
syseng
syseng, Systems Engineer

My name is David.

Boot the computer and when the Windows logo appears immediately shut down the computer. Do this three times and on the fourth time let it boot into the Advanced Boot Options screen. Select Safe Mode with Networking and let it boot.

If it boots into Safe Mode, click the Windows Start button, click the Search box and type

cmd

in the Search box then right click on the command terminal icon and click Run as Administrator.

Then in the command terminal type

sfc /scannow

and press Enter and let it scan. The scan may take awhile.

While it is scanning click the Windows Start button then in the Search box type

msconfig

and press Enter. In the window that appears click the Startup tab and disable everything that is not a Microsoft program.

Then Once the scan is finished, reboot into normal mode and let me know if the error still appears.

Sorry for not coming back to you sooner, but I've been very busy.
When I boot, I don't get any Windows logo ! Only the mention "ASUS in search of incredible" in the middle of the screen; then after a while, the following mention (in french, as I am in France): "Your computer has encountered a problem and must restart. We just collect information relating to the errors, then we are going to restart. After reaching 100% of this action, the computer starts again and I get the mention "preparing for the repair" (still in french...). After some time, it finally says: "your PC has not started correctly", and I'm left with only 2 solutions: quit, or try some advanced options (which eventually don't give any results).

If when you select Advanced Options there is a command terminal option, select that option then perform the procedure I posted above which I have placed below as well:

In the command terminal type

sfc /scannow

Once the scan completes reboot and let me know if it boots into Windows. If not then there is another series of commands you can run to fix the boot sector so that the computer will boot.

Do you still need assistance?

I've tried the command "sfc/scannow". The scan seems to work, but when it is finished I get the following message: "the protection of Windows resources failed to perform the demanded operation" and my problem is still there when I reboot !

Ok, then next in Safe Mode again do the following if you haven't already:

Click the Windows Start button then in the Search box type

msconfig

Then reboot into normal mode and let me know if the error still appears.

I never get the Windows start button, and I don't seem to be able to boot in Safe Mode !! (but I can get to the command terminal)

Ok then next in the command terminal run the following command:

chkdsk c: /f /r

and let the scan run and complete and then try to boot into Windows.

Please let me know the result.

Sorry, I've run chkdsk, but the situation is still the same: I cannot boot into Windows !

Ok, then on the command line run the following:

BOOTREC /FIXMBR

and then press Enter.

Next run the following command:
BOOTREC /FIXBOOT

and then press Enter.
If any errors appear then run the following:
BOOTREC /RebuildBcd

Then reboot and test to see if the computer boots normally.

Please let me know the result.

I ran "bootrec/fixmbr" and "bootrec/fixboot" as you said, and it said immediately : "the operation succeeded", in both cases. But then, same situation as before, I can't boot into Wondows...

Ok then next on the command terminal run the following:

BOOTREC /RebuildBcd

Please let me know the result.

I did "bootrec/rebuildbcd"
Here are the messages I got (translated):
"Looking for Windows installations on all disks".
Then after a very short while:
"Windows installations have been analysed".
"Number of Windows installations identified: 0".
"The operation has been successful".And my problem is still there !!!

When you run the chkdsk c: /f /r command, do any errors appear?

Not really errors, as I thought. Still I noted the following statements, which might mean something to you.
- chkdsk has discovered some marked free space allocated in the bitmap of the volume.
- Windows has made corrections on the file system. No other action is required.
- Failure of the transfer of journal messages towards the journal of events with statement 50.As I don't understand all of this fully, my translation might not be perfect !... Nevertheless I hope you can make something of it.

Sounds like the computer cannot boot due to a lot of corruption in the file system. When there is a lot of corruption you may have to run the chkdsk c: /f /r command multiple times (rebooting after each run) to fix the errors so the system can start. So I recommend running the chkdsk c: /f /r command three or four times with a reboot after each one and then try booting into Windows.

Please let me know the result.

I've run chkdsk c:/f/r twice and it doesn't solve my problem.
Actually the file system seems perfectly sound. With "chkdsk", I get no errors at all; only, right at the end, this notification which I have already mentioned: "Failure of the transfer of journal messages towards the journal of events with statement 50" (in French: échec de transfert des messages de journal vers le journal d'événement avec l'état 50). I am not sure to understand what this is about, but it doesn't seem to me to be of a nature to explain why I can't boot into Windows !...
Yet I h
Yet, on my various booting endeavors, I have managed to read a notification which briefly appears on the blue screen informing me that my computer has not started correctly; it says: if you contact the assistance, give them the following stop code: "bad system config info". Might this be of any help, after all that we've tried so far ?

Ok, so let's make sure drive C: is still the correct drive letter while in the recovery mode. On the command terminal again type

diskpart

and press Enter. Then type

list volume

and let me know the result. If you can take a picture and post it here that would be best.

Ok thanks.

Next type

dir c:

and press Enter and please provide a picture of the output to that one as well.

Going to get some sleep now ! ...
Back in 10 hours or so

Ok, good. It looks like the files are intact, and either the bootsector or the file system journal or both need repair.

OK, and how do you do that ?

We have already run the more common methods for fixing the boot sector so what I need to know next before proceeding is if you have any hard drive or file system level encryption installed?

I have not installed any encryption system on the machine.
I have a double boot on it (I mentioned it earlier when I contacted "Justanswer") which allows me to boot either into Windows or Linux. It's been running like that without any problem for at least 2 years and I can still boot into Linux, and work with Linux, quite normally.
Do you think this could have anything to do with my problem ?

Yes, actually, and using another boot sector specific to Linux may resolve the issue.

What Linux distribution are you using?

Ok thanks.

Next boot into Ubuntu then open a command terminal and run the following commands:

sudo apt-add-repository ppa:yannubuntu/boot-repair

sudo apt-get update

sudo apt-get install -y boot-repair

boot-repair

Then follow the prompts from boot-repair to complete the repair process.

Then reboot the computer and it should be able to boot into either Ubuntu or Windows.

Please let me know the result.

My name is David.

Do you still need assistance?

I haven't been able to run all the commands you suggested to me.
At one point, I got this message : some index files could not be downloaded, they habe been ignored or the older ones have been used instead.
And then, when trying to run "boot-repair" : the boot-repair package could not be found.

Ok, so the first three commands must be run successfully or the boot-repair command will not work. Please let me know when you run those commands followed by the boot-repair command and the result.