Software

Ask Software Development Questions and Get Answers ASAP

I'm trying to do a windows 10 restore from a flash drive…

Customer Question
I'm trying to do...

I'm trying to do a windows 10 restore from a flash drive that I made using dell system backup

Technician's Assistant: What device or product does this involve?

Xps 8300 I upgraded to windows 10 when they offered a free upgrade

Technician's Assistant: What have you tried so far with your XPS? Have you installed any updates recently?

Well, it was setup to do automatic updates but I didn't monitor that very closely

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Computer Expert to know before I connect you?

This is not the first time that I have tried to do the restore.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Software
12/4/2017
Software technician: Pete, Computer Expert replied 8 months ago
Pete, Computer Expert

I am Pete, and I'll be happy to assist with your question today.

Pete, I'm trying to figure out how to restore a non booting Dell XPS 8300
How can you connect? The 8300 does not boot?
You dropped me after I could not select "securely connect." The computer I am asking questions about does not boot. I cannot go to Secure Remote Assistance. There is no GUI. You provided no useable information. I want my money back.

Sorry for any delay, we appear to be in different time zones.

You can ignore any automated offers that may pop up - they are sent automatically by the site.

How far does the boot process get?

Do you see any Windows logo at all?
Do you hear any beeps?

Pete, yes the dell logo comes up. I can get into BIOS. I can push f12 and get boot options such as: boot from usb flash drive. I get the same results when I boot to flash drive or to hard drive Windows 10 gives me a repair environment. First page is: "Continue, exit and continue to Windows 10 pro." "Troubleshoot, reset your PC or see advanced options." and finally: "Turn off your PC." It doesn
't help to do anything but choose: "Troubleshoot" which leads to page two. <I'm still typing.>
Page Two: "Reset this PC." (results in error messages.) I choose: "Advanced options." This leads to page three.

Can you go to Advanced Options and try a repair?

Page 3, first option is: "System Restore." (that leads to a question about where the last restore point is on the PC. Amazingly enough, the program comes back with the response that there are no restore points. How is that possible? I thought they were automatic every day.) second option is "System Image Recovery." (this option leads to a question about where the system image file is located. You guessed it, Windows 10 cannot find a system image file. <I'm still typing>
Page 3, third option is: "Startup Repair." (this goes to a black screen with windows logo and a white dot progress wheel: "diagnosing ... ," "attempting repairs ...," and finally the message: "[some message about how Windows cannot repair]" Fourth option is: "Command Prompt." This is the one that holds promise. I can get a command prompt and run DISM, bcdedit, and other commands. However this is new territory for me. I have to use "command" /? and sometimes I still do not understand how to use the command. <still typing>
I tried to restore the critical system files by using xcopy to copy from my usb recovery drive (x:) to my system drive (m:) From m:\>xcopy x:\windows\system32\*.* m:\windows\system32\*.* /s This looked very promising at first, xcopy ran through everything up until the files that started with a "c..." Then the process halted and I got an error message: "The requested operation cannot be performed on a file with a user-mapped section open."
As you may see. I have high hopes for some solution using the command prompt. In addition to the recovery usb drive. I also have a copy of the wins10.iso in a different partition from the system partition. As I wait for your replies, I am trying to learn how to make a bootable usb drive to make use of the iso. However, I have never done this before so I'm learning as I go. I'm exhausted. I've been online with JustAnswer.com since 10:30 this morning (coming up on nine hours now.) <over to you>
You seem busy. I'm signing off for the night. Send me an email so we can pick this up again tomorrow. Victoria

Hi Victoria, can you get to the command prompt and run sfc /scannow

My system partition is currently (m:) I went to "m:" and ran sfc: "m:\>sfc /scannow" It started the system scan and ran the verification phase until yielding a message: "Verification 100% complete._" Then the cursor dropped down two lines and gave a new messasge: "Windows Resource Protection could not perform the requested operation."
In the past when I have run sfc with Windows XP, the program compares system files with copies on the installation disk. Since I ran the upgrade to Windows 10 from the internet on the broken machine, I have no installation disk. I don't see how sfc can run without fresh untarnished copies of the system files. However, I did download an ISO of Windows 10. Is there someway to mount this image to one of my virtual drives or a usb drive in order to synthesize a Windows 10 installation disk? <over to you>
PS With much research, I think I have found out why my usb res&rec drive is not functioning properly. I found an article that describes how Dell Data Safe / Local Backup has to be updated to version 1.9 before upgrading to Wins10. I don't know if that means that my recovery flash drive is useless or if it just means that it will have to be "finessed." [I hope you're laughing.] <over to you>

There does appear to be a problem with the original Windows files and possibly the recovery drive as well.

Have you tried running CHKDSK on the boot drive?

I did a chkdsk on (c:) [recovery partition,] (d:) [Image Recovery usb drive] and (m:) [the system partition.] ... all report: "Windows has scanned the file system and found no problems." As far as I can tell, most of my system is in good shape. The problem appears to be located in boot files and folders. The problem began when I asked EaseUS partition master to reduce the size of the system partition. After the system rebooted and EaseUS was just starting up in DOS mode, I accidently hit the F2 key which boots to BIOS. The first few times I tried to run the Windows Recovery Environment, the command prompt could not find my system partition. The boot files were disturbed by the interruption of EaseUS PM. CHKDSK indicated that my system partition was "... in use by another process." I knew it was EaseUS PM. So, I used chkdsk to force a dismount of the system partition hoping to regain control of the operating system. This hope has been vain. In the meantime, I tried to repair the boot files using bcdedit, sfc, DISM and bootrec commands but I am not yet successful.
However, today I learned something from working with the command prompt and my Dell Res& Rec flash drive. The DRRusbDrive boots successfully not only to a Windows Recovery Environment but, my command prompt is an "Administrator account" in win32 mode. I discovered that I can call up regedit and I can get a primitive version of Windows Explorer when I ask to export a copy of the registry to another location. I'm exhausted. <over to you>
Pete, I got a message from Just Answer today informing me that Just Answer cannot help me with my problem. Sorry to see you go; you just began to ask me the more advanced questions. They were stimulating. Victoria

Hi Victoria, I'm not sure why that message was sent! It may have been sent in error.

If the USB recovery drive does not work, can you try making another one?