Software

Ask Software Development Questions and Get Answers ASAP

How can I enable bitlocker without an internet connection? I…

Customer Question
How can I enable...

How can I enable bitlocker without an internet connection? I have two partitions and enabled the tpm 1.2 security

Technician's Assistant: What computer or device are you trying to connect?

A windows 7 computer. Im trying to run bitlocker in a standalone mode

Technician's Assistant: What's the brand and model of your computer?

Dell latitude

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Software
12/1/2017
Software technician: Pete, Computer Expert replied 7 months ago
Pete, Computer Expert

I am Pete, and I'll be happy to assist with your question today.

To enable Bitlocker without a working internet connection:

• You must be logged on as an administrator.
  • You must have a USB flash drive to save the recovery password.
  • You should also have a second USB flash drive to store the startup key separate from the recovery password.

Then to enable BitLocker Drive Encryption:

1. Click Start, type gpedit.msc in the Start Search box, and then press ENTER.

2. If the User Account Control dialog box appears, verify that the proposed action is what you requested, and then click Continue.

3. In the Group Policy Object Editor console tree, click Local Computer Policy, click Administrative Templates, click Windows Components, and then double-click BitLocker Drive Encryption.

4. Double-click the setting Control Panel Setup: Enable Advanced Startup Options. The Control Panel Setup: Enable Advanced Startup Options dialog box appears.

5. Select the Enabled option, select the Allow BitLocker without a compatible TPM check box, and then click OK.

You have now changed the policy setting so that you can use a startup key instead of a TPM.

6. Close the Group Policy Object Editor.

7. To force Group Policy to apply immediately, you can click Start, type gpupdate.exe /force in the Start Search box, and then press ENTER.Wait for the process to finish.

8. Click Start, click Control Panel, click Security, and then click BitLocker Drive Encryption.

9. If the User Account Control message appears, verify that the proposed action is what you requested, and then click Continue.

10. On the BitLocker Drive Encryption page, click Turn On BitLocker on the operating system volume.

11. On the Set BitLocker Startup Preferences page, select the Require Startup USB Key at every startup option. This is the only option available for non-TPM configurations. This key must be inserted each time before you start the computer.

12. Insert your USB flash drive in the computer, if it is not already there.

13. On the Save your Startup Key page, choose the location of your USB flash drive, and then click Save.

14. On the Save the recovery password page, you will see the following options:

• Save the password ***** a USB drive. Saves the password ***** a USB flash drive.
    • Save the password ***** a folder. Saves the password ***** a network drive or other location.
    • Print the password. Prints the password.

When you have finished saving the recovery password, click Next.