Software

Ask Software Development Questions and Get Answers ASAP

Up until a few days ago I was able to see all my computers…

Customer Question
Up until a few...

Up until a few days ago I was able to see all my computers and my NAS when I opened File Explorer. Now I can only see the computer I am on and the NAS. I have enabled Network Discovery so I have no idea what has happened. It might have started when I updated to Windows version 1709

Technician's Assistant: Just to clarify, what's the make and model of your computer? What version of Windows are you running?

Lenovo and Windows 10 Pro

Technician's Assistant: What's the model of your Lenovo?

Y520 purchased in august this year

Technician's Assistant: When did you purchase your Lenovo? What troubleshooting have you tried?

Multiple attempts. chatted with NAS people WD and Lenovo and have looked thru Windows 10 forums and googled the problem

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Computer Expert to know before I connect you?

I don't think so

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Software
11/18/2017
Software technician: syseng, Systems Engineer replied 7 months ago
syseng
syseng, Systems Engineer

My name is David.

For an immediate fix, login locally and open Group Policy editor (click Start then Search then type gpedit.msc and press Enter). Then in the Group Policy editor go to Computer configuration, Administrative Templates, Network, Lanman Workstation and then "Enable insecure guest logons".

Then test to see if you can now connect.

Also review the Microsoft article at the following link regarding the security issues resolved by 1709 to decide how you want to your computer configured in the long run:

click here

Please let me know the result and if you need further assistance.

Thanks,

David.

Do you still need assistance?

Hi David
I tried the first quick fix with no change.There was no link at the click here spot on your response.I have attached screenprints from all three of my computers. The problem is with the Lenovo laptop. The other screenprints are from an HP All-inOne (HP AIO). So I can see every device on HP but not the Lenovo. However when I try to access the other devices I receive the cannot access drive.I am not going to be able to work on this until tomorrow.Thanks for your assistance so far.

Next uninstall the 1709 update to see if that resolves the issue. To do this complete the following roll back procedure:

Select Start, then Settings, then Update & Security, and then Recovery. Note that it will keep your personal files while removing the applications and drivers that were installed after the 1709 upgrade, and also reverses any changes that you made to settings.

After the roll back, reboot and let me know the result.

My apologies, we have relatives in town for Thanksgiving. I will not be able to work on this problem for few more days. Thanks for your patience.
Software technician: syseng, Systems Engineer replied 6 months ago

Thank you for letting me know. I will check back after Thanksgiving :)

syseng
syseng
syseng, Systems Engineer