Software

Ask Software Development Questions and Get Answers ASAP

I need help with instructions on how to enter a command in…

Hi, I need help with...
Hi, I need help with instructions on how to enter a command in excel to search all rows that contain any of 8 words and highlight the row or remove the row. Is that possible? thanks
11/17/2017
Specialist Sean S.
Specialist Sean S., Computer Support Specialist

Good afternoon/evening!...My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you. Is there anything else to know other than remove any 8 specific words?

I actually need it to highlight or remove the entire row if any of the rows have any one of eight words

Okay. Do you want me to find a general command or do you want to give me those words and I can help construct the command. I would usually go about this by sorting the Excel document if any of those words meet the criteria and then highlighting them and deleting them. What are your thoughts?

Sure, actually just sorting them by the words would be better. Then I can cut and paste them to a different sheet. Then I would just need help sorting back. It is a list of people with the person's registration number, First, Middle Intl, Last, the year they were admitted to law school, The law school they went to, and then living or deceased. I would like to separate the 8 Ivy League schools - Brown, Columbia, Cornell, Dartmouth, Harvard, the University of Pennsylvania, Princeton, and Yale
I would like to separate all rows that contain any of those schools. It is currently sorted by last name

Okay. You wouldn't want a command then. You'll want to highlight the entire workbook, then Conditional formatting, then Highlight Cell Rules, then Text that Contains, then enter those words, and all the matches will be highlighted. Then you can sort them based on that matching color as well and copy, cut, etc.

Does that make sense?

Do you mind if I ask a few more questions though? It's been a very long time since I have used excel..
for example I don't even know how to "select all"

Sure. Also too, if you find it appropriate to help you, we have a remote connection option where I can show you these things too if it makes it easier, but feel free to use this chat as long as you'd like

I saw that but it is confidential info so I wouldn't be able to.

No problem. I completely understand. So you basically want to highlight the entire workbook or cells that have text in it. That is "select all"

For text that contains - do I have to do it seperately for each word? It stops selecting after I put a second word in. I tried separating by space and by comma

No, Once you select all the words/rows, then on the HOME tab, you should see CONDITIONAL FORMATTING on the middle of the ribbon. Do you see that?

The-PC-Guy
The-PC-Guy, Software Engineer

HI i was working with you on this question, will be helping you from here

not sure why but for some reason you closed the other question, and I was unable to respond

can you send an example sheet, you can just make up a bunch of fake data to show what you want to accomplish

wow, that's annoying. I was in the middle of following the instructions that the other tech was giving me and was almost done. The other question was closed because I sat for close to an hour waiting for a response after you said "one Momemt"

Hi, I'm still here. I apologize about that. I will look into it to ensure it gets addressed. Would you like to continue working with me on this? Also, please note that negative rating will go to me and not the expert that joined that chat a few moments ago

Yeah, if we could finish that would be great. The other guy accepted my question originally and then didn't respond, that's what the negative was for. If you know how I can fix it, I will definitely do it.

Sure. i'm here now and will be happy to continue. I apologize for any inconvenience

Once we're done, if you can re-rate the question, that would negate the negative rating on this one which will affect me and not the other expert. Where did we leave off at?

ok sure. I am doing the conditional formating and entering the "text that contains", with each word seperately. Doesn't seem to work otherwise. And the file has some of the colleges listed or abreviated differently so Im getting them all added

Okay. Are you able to see where CONDITIONAL FORMATTING is on the HOME tab in the middle of the ribbon?

I have gone there and then I selected Highlight Cell Rules, then Text that contains, and I have all of the cells with those words highlighted now. Would I sort the rows now?

Yes. We're at that step now. Great! What's the next thing you need from me for this?

Specialist Sean S.
How do I sort the rows with the highlighted cells?
I actually just figured it out. Thank you very much for your help. I appreciate it.

You're very welcome. If you would like to request me directly anytime in the future, here the link to do so. I'll get an e-mail if I'm off-line https://www.justanswer.com/computer/expert-ssaunders/?rpt=3800

Were you able to re-rate the question as well to avoid the negative rating from counting for me?

I rated 5 starts. If I need to contact support to fix the first one, please let me know

Will do. Thank you. have a great day!