Software

Ask Software Development Questions and Get Answers ASAP

Can anyone help me with using a .csv sheet to upload to my…

Can anyone help me with...
Can anyone help me with using a .csv sheet to upload to my Yahoo Store? One brand of about 1,500 items has price changes. I understand that the spreadsheet must be in the format that Yahoo will accept. I downloaded the existing .csv and was told by Yahoo to one by one make price changes, throughout the store of about 32,000 items, and then re-upload it. 1) There has to be a better way. 2) I don't want to risk uploading the entire store when it is only about 1,500 items that need changes.
10/18/2017
Jess M., Computer Support Specialist

Hi, welcome and thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I am glad to assist you today.
I am very sorry about your issues. Are you using a Windows computer or a Mac?

I believe Yahoo Stores is using a single CSV template and if you want to update your store database using that template, there is no way of appending a smaller CSV to the main CSV. You need to download the current CSV file though it contains 32,000 items and make the manual modification of the main CSV file and then upload it to rebuild your entire store. That is how the CSV import works.

The real trick that you might be looking into is how to automate the updating of the main CSV file with the 1500 changed products.

Please let me know by replying to me here so that I can help you further.
Best regards,
Jess

Hi, and thanks for answering. I am using Windows 10.
There is an "add" function for Yahoo Stores; in fact, I see many warnings about Rebuild destroying a store, that Add should be used 99% of the time.

You're welcome. I am referring to this Yahoo Small Business article that explains the procedures about the store database and importing the CSV file:

https://help.smallbusiness.yahoo.net/s/article/SLN18705

The concept or logic behind this is that, your store database is ALL data in your store. So if you want to MASS CHANGE your database, you can "hack" it using the CSV file.

That CSV file is the MAIN file that the store is using. So if you upload a CSV with only the CHANGED products, all other and UNCHANGED products will be removed since the database now has the changed products only.

So the actual workflow is that, get the current CSV of your store, and then manually modify the products that have changes. Then upload the modified CSV. All changes you made in the CSV will be reflected in the store "en mass" as compared to manually editing your products information.

I have not seen your CSV file but if you can send me a DUMMY of your main CSV, and a dummy of the changed products, I believe I can show you a faster way to modify the main CSV to reflect the needed changes of your products. I can also tell if it is really a manual task.

Thank you,

Jess

Thank you! I would appreciate your looking them over.
Here they are.

Ok. Please give me a moment

Also, please check the MAIN CSV file and confirm if ALL of your products are listed there. Because if you want this mass-change approach through the CSV, your store will be rebuilt and only the products in the main csv file will be shown on your store after uploading.

there is no way you can see to just upload the 1,500 files, adding them to the store without rebuilding the entire store?

Unfortunately, there is no way to do that. Yahoo did not provide such feature, I do not know why. The feature you are referring to is APPENDING your products in bulk using a CSV. Unfortunately, the CSV approach requires the whole database so you need to make the changes in the main CSV file and uploading it will rebuild your store.

OK, thank you for that information. I don't think I want to risk something going wrong with the whole store.

Oh, I understand your concern especially you have a "live" store but that is the only way to mass-change your products on your store. Have you tried this CSV approach before? If not, then I understand that you will be really unsure of the results. But logically, it should work since the CSV is just putting the information back to your store database.

If you do not want to hack the CSV in fear of getting a blank store after the upload of the modified CSV, then the only option is to manually edit the products.

I hope that helped.

Please remember to rate my service positively (3-5 stars/faces) if this helped. Tips are always highly appreciated!

If you need further assistance, please do not rate me negatively with 1 or 2 faces. Instead, please reply to me so that I can help you further.

Thank you!

Best regards,
Jess

Thanks, ***** ***** I'll see how manual goes, little by little.

You're welcome. I hope I was able to help.

Jess M., Computer Support Specialist
Hi Jess, just FYI, I spoke with the person who has done some store changes for me, and it is possible to just upload the actual list of price changed items including the essential column headings and as an Add. Again, thanks for your help. By the way, are you familiar with Shopify? Do you think it is better than Yahoo?

Hi Joan,

Thank you for writing back. I was only basing my answer on the Yahoo Small Business article that explained the procedures. Based on the logic of that article, it will be a main CSV and no append feature is available. If that person has a hands-on experience with CSV, then maybe it is possible and doable.

Regarding Shopify, yes, I am very familiar with Shopify since I am a Shopify partner. It is a lot better than Yahoo but I do not know the difference between the overhead expenses. With Shopify, you can start a store for $29 per month all-in. That is, hosting and ecommerce infrastructure is included.

Here is my article with a video guide to show you what it can do:

http://technicalforum.org/e-commerce-tips-reviews/making-your-first-online-sale-shopify-video-course-facebook-marketing

Thank you,

Jess

Thank you very much! I'll look over what you have linked.