Software

Ask Software Development Questions and Get Answers ASAp

Software

How do I set up my cloud VPS running windows? I have it up…

how do I set up...
how do I set up my cloud VPS running windows? I have it up and running, but keep getting directed to "set-up" the server and it occasionally shuts down on it own.
10/17/2017
Russell H., Computer Support Specialist

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is***** will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.
Please tell me the exact and full error message you get from your Cloud VPS server, and what 'brand' of VPS Server it is, to start with.

Hey Russell - I'd rather I just give you access to the server and you make sure everything is set correctly. That possible?
Why don't you give me a call and talk me through it while you are accessing the server.(###) ###-####

I cannot take up that offer until I know: What *is* the server? Windows Server? Windows PC? Apple computer? Linux/something else? please let me know.

ah. ok.

Let me know please - if it is something I myself cannot connect to (e.g. an Apple or Linux computer) I will have to cede this case to another Expert with that capability here.

cloud server - Windows 2016 - 64bit standard. 2GB ram (Windows 2016 datacenter)
I use microsoft remote desktop to connect to the server.

I'm not sure I can help with that kind of machine, I regret to say.

But, at least for the next Expert if not for me: What is the exact and full error message about 'set up the server' (as stated by you already more or less)?

And what Cloud VPS software is it? if you know its program name.

sure. I do not get an error message. I simply get repeated interruptions from the windows server manager program to "continue setup" and the server manager opens automatically. I would think this could be handled by anyone familiar with Windows Server Manager.

I'm not quite certain that I could indeed manage it - partly because I've never gotten this connect software to work with Windows Server machines. With apologies, I have Opted Out, opening the case to the appropriate other Expert in this category, one who is certain they can help you. Thanks.

How do I transfer this to find another expert?

My Opting Out will do that for you. Thank you. Have a good day meanwhile.

I don't think you need to use your connect software. I will just give the tech the sign in credentials to the server and you can work through that directly.
syseng
syseng, Systems Engineer

My name is David.

The Server Manager display at startup is a common issue with earlier versions of Windows Server as well. To disable click the Start button then type

Task Scheduler

in the Search box and either press Enter or click on the Task Scheduler icon that appears.

In Task Scheduler expand Task Scheduler, then Microsoft, then Windows, then Server Manager. Right click on the Server Manager task that starts at login and click Disable.

Logoff then login to test that the issue is resolved.

Please let me know the result and if you need further assistance.

Thanks,

David.

thank you David. I did as you suggested. Problem partially resolved. I am also concerned that there are other task I am not aware of that are automatically restarting the server without my permission. This VPS needs to function 24/7 with downtime only when I choose. Can you help me with this as well?

Yes and if you are available I have time to work on it now.

I can forward a remote assistance offer if you like, since you did mention that above.

Otherwise we can still work on identifying the services restarting the VPS through this Q & A session.

I would prefer you handle it directly. I have already requested and paid for Remote Assistance on this project. How do we proceed?
this is a good time.

Ok sounds good. I don't see the remote assistance request however. Was it requested in an earlier question?

no. in current question - and it is showing " SRA requested" on here.
should we close this question - and open a new one?

No, first try cancelling then re-requesting the remote service.

I see no way to do that without getting a refund for the entire question. Shall I call customer service?

Yes, check with customer service - it seems there is something in the system that is not showing the request correctly. They will be able to check and make sure the request is in and visible.

I will stand by.

talking to them now
they see the request, and now on hold.

Ok

they say they are reaching out to you now.

Ok thanks - I am checking now.

Have not received a message from them so still standing by.

ok. I'm here and working on other stuff while we wait. So hope you can hang for a bit.

Yes, I'll be here for awhile so will continue to standby.

syseng
syseng, Systems Engineer

They enabled the remote assistance request and I have accepted. So are you still available or is there another time that you would like me to remote in?

just free again now. You still there?
or we can do this in the morning.
I'm free tomorrow until 3pm EST.
syseng
syseng
syseng, Systems Engineer