Software

Ask Software Development Questions and Get Answers ASAP

I have a series of repetitive steps I want to perform in…

Customer Question
I have a series of...
I have a series of repetitive steps I want to perform in Windows 10 and I want to automate those steps. I want to be able to record my steps and edit them e.g. record and edit macros.I want to be able to recursively loop e.g. if I have 100 files that I want to perform the same 10 steps on; I want to be able to tell the automation tool to repeat each of the 10 steps for files 1-100.I also want to be able to pass it variables; so for example if the 1/2 of the 100 files are for say, 2016 and the other half are for 2017; I want to be able to pass it the variable of the year.And then I want to be able to use that variable for e.g. renaming the file (e.g. filename_20015) and for automatically creating sub-directory names based on that variable. For example if I have a directory called All_The_Years. Then when the recursive loop saw a file with 2015, it would create a directory called 2015 under All_The_Years; any additional 2015 files would be saved there. Ditto for 2016 files.Any suggestions?
Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Software
Answered in 1 day by:
10/2/2017
Software technician: caraleneK, Software Engineer replied 7 months ago
caraleneK
caraleneK, Software Engineer

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be the expert working with you today to help and resolve the problem you have posted.

Can you upload this file for me to have a look at this file for you.

Waiting for your feedback

Hi, I do not have a file for you to look at. I do not understand what you need. I want to have a utility or process or application or some type of solution that will record my steps (e.g. open file with application X, do file/insert space/ close file, go to directory; rename file to today's date). Repeat on next file (this is a very simple example)

Thanks for your feedback. You can do this on windows 10 like this.

To record and save steps on your computer

1. To open Steps Recorder, select the Start button, and then select Windows Accessories > Steps Recorder (in Windows 10), or Accessories > Problem Steps Recorder (in Windows 7 or Windows 8.1).
  2. Select Start Record.
  3. Go through the steps to reproduce the problem you’re trying to diagnose. You can pause and resume the recording at any time.
  4. (Optional) As you record, select Add Comment, use your mouse to select the part of the screen that you want to comment on, type your comment, and then select OK.
  5. When you’re done, select Stop Record.
  6. Review the record of the steps you followed to make sure it shows what you want it to show. Select Save, name the .zip file, choose where to save it, and then select Save. Now you can attach and send this .zip file to the person helping you troubleshoot the problem on your PC. It can be viewed in any web browser.

Or here is a app what can also do this for you. https://www.telestream.net/screenflow/overview.htm

Waiting for your feedback or a rating

Can you please re-read my original request? The problem steps recorder does not address my need. The problem steps recorder saves a file that you then send to someone to troubleshoot a problem. I do not have a problem - I am trying to automate a process that I can then repeat. The video editing also does not address my requirement. I will repeat the original request here for your easy reference:I have a series of repetitive steps I want to perform in Windows 10 and I want to automate those steps. I want to be able to record my steps and edit them e.g. record and edit macros.I want to be able to recursively loop e.g. if I have 100 files that I want to perform the same 10 steps on; I wantto be able to tell the automation tool to repeat each of the 10 steps for files 1-100.I also want to be able to pass it variables; so for example if the 1/2 of the 100 files are for say, 2016 and the other half are for 2017; I want to be able to pass it the variable of the year.And then I want to be able to use that variable for e.g. renaming the file (e.g. filename_20015) and for automatically creating sub-directory names based on that variable. For example if I have a directory called All_The_Years. Then when the recursive loop saw a file with 2015, it would create a directory called 2015 under All_The_Years; any additional 2015 files would be saved there. Ditto for 2016 files.

Thanks for your feedback not sure if we will find a tool to do this but robotask can assist with task. Please have a look

https://robotask.com/?gclid=Cj0KCQjwsZHPBRClARIsAC-VMPBwoztTh3vpHrT3K3rF4uFOFBWmfIQ0OFoxB76jQABZ3tAuHHlUaKAaAgTzEALw_wcB

Waiting for your feedback

Does Robotask have a recorder function? Please feel free to forward this question to someone else if this is not your area of expertise.

Thanks for your feedback Sophia i will opt out let someone else can assist take care.

Software technician: syseng, Systems Engineer replied 7 months ago
syseng
syseng, Systems Engineer

My name is David.

The best tool I have found for automating tasks in the Windows GUI is AutoIt, which you can download at the link below:

click here

AutoIt will both record and allow you to write your own scripts, and most people that use it tend to do a combination of both where they record the task to automate then tweak the automation code to make it even better.

Please take a look and let me know if that is what you need or if you have further questions.

Thanks,

David.

syseng
syseng
syseng, Systems Engineer