Software

Ask Software Development Questions and Get Answers ASAP

I mistakenly downloaded Verizon McAfee Family Protection on…

Customer Question
I mistakenly downloaded Verizon...

I mistakenly downloaded Verizon McAfee Family Protection on my computer. It is preventing me from launching the internet and working. I want to remove it , but I don't have the email and password ***** make the change.

Technician's Assistant: What's the make/model of your device? How old is it?

HP laptop model G72 and it is 7 years old.

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been going on? What troubleshooting have you tried?

Since May of this year. I have tried to uninstall but I don't remember the original email address and password ***** I used.

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Phone Expert to know before I connect you?

No, it's not this computer

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Software
Answered in 1 minute by:
9/28/2017
Software technician: Russell H., Computer Support Specialist replied 10 months ago
Russell H., Computer Support Specialist

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is***** will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

I can help you with this. It should be removable even without the password ***** that account; or if it were not so removable, the password ***** that account should be able to be recovered. And perhaps it might not even need to be removed? We shall see.

First, what Windows version (e.g. XP, Vista, 7, 8 or 8.1, or 10) is on your computer?

Second, would you like me to log in to your computer and solve the problem for you there? or would you prefer instructions - a longer and more exhausting process for sure?

Whichever way you wish, I will help you through the problem.

windows 7 and yes you can log into my computer. however, it is not the one that I am corresponding to you on.

OK. When will you be ready to have me log on, as you say - a remote connection - to the computer with the problem? you will have to start the remote connection on your own side of the connection, so if the problem computer is somewhere else, I can come back to this case when you are ready to start on the problem computer... ?

I am ready

OK - on the problem computer you will need to go to this link:

http://www.justanswer.co.uk/remotedesktop/join.aspx?Session=beacb85d-739a-4c9c-9a79-4f953b5b622e

and when that's ready, I can begin the session.

I keep getting error 404 seems ou accessed an invalid link

Are you typing in the link on the problem computer?

If so, type the two lines of the link as all-one-line, and make sure not to insert any spaces anywhere... there are no spaces in an invalid URL address for a link, you see.

i am using the computer that needs fixing and I typed in the link as shown.

Try it again, please - the link as I posted it works for me when clicked on, brings up the right page:

and remember that if this looks like two lines, it is all one line, that has 'wrapped around' to the next line. Type it in again, please...

i am retyping the link now
i did it exactly and it still says error 404 accessed an invalid link

I'm sorry to hear that.

how am i going to get this fixed, i have already paid for this to be fixed.

That link should work.

If your computer is prevented from accessing internet, of course a link won't work on it.

Let's forget that approach. I will have to instruct you step-by-step as to what to do. Are you patient enough to undertake that approach to fixing the problem?

I need my computer. I will follow what you say
i am ready
are you still there?

Good. On the problem computer, first of all, try to open any web page. Is the program the computer is trying to use to access internet, Internet Explorer?

If so, what page - or error code - does it bring up?

I tried, it says this page cannot be displayed, it says there is a firewall preventing me from going to the internet

Is there any error code?

And is this Internet Explorer?

it is internet explorer, error message, This page cannot be displayed, make sure the web address is correct, fix connection problems.

OK. Can you open the McAfee Family Protection, or LiveSafe, or other program name? perhaps by right-clicking the red 'M/shield' icon at lower right, and choosing Open McAfee xxxxxxx - ?

I can open the family protection plan, it will launch the mcafee web page but nothing else

Good enough. Can you find the Settings in the McAfee program?

In the Settings, turn the protection of internet to Off - temporarily at least.

Can you do that? if so, then try accessing a web page - any web page - and see whether it now works.

i turned off the firewall and I still cannot access the internet

OK. Then there is some other problem on your computer. That's too bad, though.

Did the internet immediately stop after installing McAfee ? or, did it stop later on? if so, how much later?

no it is the mcafee family protection that is preventing me from opening an internet page. I need to get it removed

If you are sure that is what you want... go to

Control Panel

then go to

Programs and Features

(and choose Uninstall a program if you need to, if the list of programs has not shown already) then scroll down the list and find McAfee Family Protection.

Select McAfee Fam. Prot., click on Uninstall.

Does that work? if not, what error message appears?

I did that before contacting you. It says I need an uninstall code to uninstall this program.

Please try that again. Tell me the exact and full text of the error message, and the title of the window it appears in also, please.

Try this:

Open the McAfee Family Protection program.

Enter your McAfee Family Protection Administrator email address and the password ***** your McAfee account, then click Log in.

Click on the "Get uninstall code" option.

Write down the uninstall code, then click the X to close the window.

And then go back to Control Panel, Programs and Features, and click on McAfee Family, then select Uninstall, and when prompted, you will have the uninstall code to complete the uninstall with.

Let me know whether or not that works, please.