Software

Ask Software Development Questions and Get Answers ASAP

Several days ago I had a pop up advising an offer from Avast…

Customer Question
Several days ago I...

Several days ago I had a pop up advising an offer from Avast ....3 options...to check 1 device, fix one device and for $199.99 annually remote control maintenance & anti virus protection for 3 devices.......I made a quick note of the 1800 phone number and then phoned them last night..

Technician's Assistant: What kind of computer do you have?

The number I rang connected me with a service by TECH NET Australia and they told me that they were agents for avast....they connected remotley with my computer ( PC) and told me they would start working immeadiatly....whern I asked for the price I was told $399.00 and replied it was too much...the technician then said the "money is not important just pay me $99.00 now and the rest tomorrow.......I paid the $99.00 and I was told to go away & leave the computer for approx 2-3 hours and technician will call by phone. Maybe 40 minutes later I was contacted & told all was OK. Today I am supposed to pay a further $299.00 but I think this charge is astronomical especially as I am an aged pensioner.... Please advise

Technician's Assistant: Have you installed any updates recently?

Maybe.......am not sure

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Software Expert to know before I connect you?

I am not sure if I can trust this service provider and also if they now have open access to my computer.......I will try and pay the balance in several installments...should I change my credit card ..............can they access my computer without my knowledge and if so how can I prevent it.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Software
9/28/2017
Software technician: UranIT, Network Administrator replied 7 months ago
UranIT
UranIT, Network Administrator

Hello and thanks for using JustAnswer.com I am Serge and I will try my best to assist you.

This is all a huge scam as Avast yearly costs $49.99

you should not talk to them again, check yoour PC for viruses and change youe computer password

Jess M., Computer Support Specialist