Software

I use an iMac computer. I'm a photographer, so have lots of…

I use an iMac...

I use an iMac computer. I'm a photographer, so have lots of photos, using both Lightroom and Photoshop. My computer has been really, really, slow lately. Yesterday I found online how to move files from one location to another through lightroom, so moved the file from my Pictures library on the hard drive to my external hard... Read full answer

I use an iMac computer. I'm a photographer, so have lots of photos, using both Lightroom and Photoshop. My computer has been really, really, slow lately. Yesterday I found online how to move files from one location to another through lightroom, so moved the file from my Pictures library on the hard drive to my external hard drive. It was all moving over just fine until I made the mistake of trying to edit photos simultaneously. It froze when I was using the healing brush. Now everything is stopped, and has been all night. I don't know what to do!

Technician's Assistant: Just to clarify, what's the model of your Mac, and what operating system are you running?

MacOS Sierra version 10.12.6

Technician's Assistant: Have you installed any updates recently?

No

9/26/2017
Kris Rodgers
Kris Rodgers, IT Manager

Hi
Sorry for the delay, we are busy and I've just got to your question.
How long has this been happening?
Thanks
Kris

Kris Rodgers
Kris Rodgers, IT Manager
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Since last night

OK - to allow me to connect to your PC/MAC, you must install remote access software. The software is below, use the "Family and Friends" version. It's free.
https://www.teamviewer.com/en/
Once installed I need the ID and Password ***** displays, i do not need the one you created, I am looking for the one that TeamViewer gives you when you open the program.
Thanks
Kris

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I downloaded it, and it's on my dock, but it's not giving me a password. Doesn't seem to be doing anything.Clicking on the icon in the dock does nothing.

Okay, can you reboot the machine and it should open.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
reboot the machine? Restart?

Yes please

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok, what happens to the many,many, files in the middle of being moved from my hard drive to my external drive when I do that????? That's why I haven't done that already.

What rate are they going at?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
They're not! That's the problem! Everything is frozen!!!! They are about 90% done. It was started yesterday and worked all day and into the early evening. Then it froze when i was using Lightroom at the same time.

We will just need to cut it then.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Doing what to my files???I'm a pro photographer. I can NOT lose those files!!!BTW, my Calendar seems to be frozen now, too, because I can't close it down, either.

I dont think you will loose them, they are still going to be on the drive on the PC.

If the drive has failed it will mean anything on the drive is gone, but until we determine that you're going to need to reboot

Thanks

kris

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I'll have to shut it down hard. I can't close anything out now.Not sure what's happening, but the Teamviewer icon in the dock is bouncing at me

I'm sorry but you're just going to need to do it.

Once back online we will inspect the damage (If any)

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok, if that's the only way.

Let me know

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Will do. It's rebooting now.

Thanks

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok, I'm back.

Does it open up?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
It looks a lot different. Lightroom is coming up now. No sign of the program I just downloaded for you.Wait. Here it comes.

Okay great

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
My ID is 150 549 563
Password *****

Can you check the details I am not seeing a connection

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Details?

Is the ID and Password ***** the same

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
My bad. I forgot to look over to the far right and sign in. Done now

You dont need to sign in

What does the ID and password ***** can you check it again as it changes

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Except it's saying the email and password *****'t match any on record. I know they're right150 549 563te6t71 Yes, it changed

connected

It does not seem to be working

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
It showed up on my screen, then disappearedIt says it's ready to connect hereIs there anything I can do on this end?

Can you open and close it again

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
ok done

Can you give me the fresh details please?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
new pass is kcv957

There's something not right, it's stuck on "Connecting"

I have never seen this before. Is your PC still slow?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
That's been a huge problem. That's the reason I was attempting to move the files over to my external hard drive

I think your PC may be failing.

When was it purchased?

Serial? I'd like to check If its a fat or thin drive..

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Try EXTREMELY slow! It has been!Serial is: DCPMG0QTFY9D
Purchased in early 2014-refurbished

Have you got a backup of the files that are on it?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I've been trying to move things over to my external drive. That's what I was doing yesterday. How do I backup my Lightroom catalogues onto my external drive?I have some on the external hard drive already, some in Dropbox.

Lightroom > Catalog Settings (Mac OS). Choose Back Up Catalog

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok, I'll do that right away! Any suggestions as to how to move the Pictures folder without having everything freeze up again?

Do around 20% at a time. Once you've backed up let me know and we can take it from there

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Choosing the settings you just gave me doesn't give me the option of setting a different location.I was told I need to move the entire folder at once. Through Lightroom. Otherwise all the connections are lost?

Yes that's true but you can do 20% at a time as long as the structure is the same in the end. It will be fine.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok, let me look at thisOk, that's what I thought. I can't open the Pictures folder to break it downIt says it has 1284 files in it
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Are you still around, or did you leave me?

Okay then just copy them and hopefully it does not stick I have a potential plan B also

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Oh, man, I just found a real problem. My old LR 5 program can't open now. It says Catalog not found!
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Does this mean I've really lost everything in that catalog???

What's the error code under it?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No error code. Just the message "Lightroom catalog was not found."

Is this opening it direct or from the hard-drive?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
from the dockIt should show up in my newest LR-always has before-it's entirely gone.Oh, man! I've lost two entire catalogues! Shall I start crying now???I was mistaken. The LR 5 has always been alone. But I had three catalogs under the new, and now I only have two! I feel like throwing up right now!

So the app is not opening?

As long as the raw data is there you should be ok

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No. Two catalogs are simply no longer anywhere to be found.I was able to locate one of my remaining catalogs and am moving it to my external hard drive now.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
When I attempt to move photos from the Pictures library, I get the following message: All the files you selected are missing. No files can be moved.

OK it seems your PC is failing. We can reinstall the app and try repointing the cat files

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
OkIs there any way to predict if this is going to completely crash within the next # of hours/days/weeks? I know there's no way to know for sure, but do you have any guess? It would just help me figure out what to do in the next week.Also, are you familiar at all with Backblaze? I've had that for some time now. Never needed to really see how that works. But it's there!

The most important thing here is your data.

Would it be possible to get the drive taken out and the data backed up?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I'll look into it. I think you've done everything you can. Bot***** *****ne-I need to buy a new computer. Thank you for your help.

-Anytime let me know If you need any futher help i am always here

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok.

Thanks

Still looking for an answer to your question? 
Similar Q&As
Starting with macOS High Sierra 10.13.4, apps that have not
Starting with macOS High Sierra 10.13.4, apps that have not been updated to use 64-bit processes produce a one-time alert when opened. This gives users advance notice that they are running 32-bit soft… read more
Justin Johnson
Justin Johnson
Owner,
I have a macOS, Mojave version 10.14.1. I recently upgrade
I have a macOS, Mojave version 10.14.1. I recently upgrade to Mojave. I'm having a problem with opening my photoshop files from my external drive. They are opening at a super slow rate. The problem im… read more
Chris Baxter
Chris Baxter
CEO,
I have Adobe Lightroom CC on my external hard drive that I
I have Adobe Lightroom CC on my external hard drive that I use with my Mac Laptop. Lately, it has been extremely laggish and it's grown increasingly frustrating as I am a professional photographer who… read more
Chris Baxter
Chris Baxter
CEO,
Stop searching for answers—
My lightroom is freezing several times in one session.
My lightroom is freezing several times in one session. Please advise me how I can prevent this.Thanks, … read more
Benjie
Benjie
Technical Support,
I am having issues with moving my pictures between lightroom
I am having issues with moving my pictures between lightroom and photoshop … read more
Chris Baxter
Chris Baxter
CEO,
Whilde doing detail photo restoration the cursor is very
Whilde doing detail photo restoration the cursor is very hard to find I want to change the color of the curser. I am using Photoshop 19.0 … read more
Computer Technology Consultant,
Get a personalized answer to your question. 
IPhoto vs. Photos vs. Lightroom. What's my best way to
iPhoto vs. Photos vs. Lightroom. What's my best way to migrate photos and videos among these while preserving date and location metadata?… read more
caraleneK
caraleneK
Service Manager,
I am new to using Lightroom. I created a Lightroom folder on
I am new to using Lightroom. I created a Lightroom folder on an external hard drive. I know my pictures are there. However, when I open LIBRARY in Lightroom and click on a couple of the sub-folders on… read more
Computer Technology Consultant,
From Lightroom, a group of images, (not all in the Library)
From Lightroom, a group of images, (not all in the Library) cannot "edit in photoshop". It is greyed out.… read more
technicalcat
technicalcat
I just bought LightRoom6 (I have the disk). I have a
I just bought LightRoom6 (I have the disk). I have a question about the flow of my work into and out of LightRoom. ALL of my photo files are on an external HD and that is where I wish to keep them. I … read more
Jins M. N.
Jins M. N.
Computer Hardware Engineer,
Diplom
Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 4: Since my back up disk became
Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 4: Since my back up disk became full, I created new folder on a new disk and transferred all of my 2015 photographs to the new back up disk. I am attempting to re-attach 700 … read more
Michael Hannigan
Michael Hannigan
Bachelor's Program
I put 42GB of Lightroom in an external drive so now none of
I put 42GB of Lightroom in an external drive so now none of those photos are in LR! I've lost 14,000 photos! I did this because my start-up disk was almost full. HELP!… read more
Computer Scientist,
Stop searching for answers—
I have lightroom 5.7 I am using window 7 my photos are all
I have lightroom 5.7 I am using window 7 my photos are all on an external drive when I open lightroom I see all my photo sessions and only two of them are connecting and recognizing the external drive… read more
Computer Scientist,
Please make a recommendation for a recently retired guy that
Please make a recommendation for a recently retired guy that is just getting into photography! I don't want to approach this wrong from the start! My wife (Mac) and I (PC) have an apartment in New Yor… read more
IT Manager,
I have lightroo 4.3 I keep photo files on external hard drive.
I have lightroo 4.3 I keep photo files on external hard drive. I had to transfer my files from one external hard drive that was full to a new larger capacity one and did this all through Lightroom 4.3… read more
Joshua C.
Joshua C.
Technical Service Representative,
I am trying to save a file from photoshop into my lightroom
i am trying to save a file from photoshop into my lightroom catalog...every time i go to "save as" and type in the title, it seems to not appear in the lightroom catalog...what am i doing wrong?… read more
Ms Techie
Ms Techie
Software Engineer,
I am a long time-Photoshop user,going back to CS2.I currently
I am a long time-Photoshop user,going back to CS2.I currently use CS5,and am thinking of getting CS6,but I see purchasing Lightroom as another possibility. What would be the better approach? Can you p… read more
James Chittenden
James Chittenden
SharePoint Technology Specialist,
Please can you tell me how to change my Lightroom catalogue
Please can you tell me how to change my Lightroom catalogue (with edits) from one internal hard drive to another?… read more
DrKlahn
DrKlahn
Principal Systems Engineer,